Thursday, August 02, 2007

Today We Are a Family of 4, Sunday We Will Be a Family of 7

I’m crazy, I know, but we will be having 3 additional kids staying with us all of next week. Our new babysitter has the chance to accompany her husband on a business trip to California and all she has to pay for is her food and her plane ticket. All of the sitters that she looked at wanted to charge her $1,000 to watch her kids for the week. Being a stay at home mom and a one income family, that was way too much.

So I got this crazy idea that if she found someone to come and watch the kids at my house, we would keep her three boys over night for them. Did I mention the ages of her three boys? No, oh, silly me. They are 3 ½, 16 months and 8 weeks. Yep, I go back to nighttime feedings next week.

We are actually very excited! We were going through the house last night trying to figure out where each kid would sleep and how we would accommodate three kids that need to be in cribs (I believe my son, the oldest of them at just over 2, will graduate to the toddler bed for the week). My daughter is excited because she gets to have a sleepover! Let me declare that this is the only sleepover she will have with a boy she is not related to :)

We did realize, however, how unprepared we are for the little ones. First off, I have no food in my house. It’s amazing how I can whip up dinners and such out of nothing for my family, but with 2 more kids that eat real food and a nanny coming next week, I have to really stock up! It’s also a hard adjustment for us to have “normal” kids in the house. By this I mean that the only safety measure we really took with our kids are outlet protectors. We didn’t need gates because we could close off the stairs down to the basement and our kids knew they were not allowed to climb up the stairs. However, in this house we will not be able to close off the stairs down to the playroom, so we’ll have to have a gate. We also have lots of little toys around because I had awesome kids that never put things in their mouths, so my daughter has the little Barbie shoes and that sort of stuff. I know I have exceptional kids, so now I have to baby-proof my house for kids that are actually normal kids and that probably climb, and try the stairs, and put things in their mouths.

So they will get dropped off on Sunday. And yes, I’m a nervous wreck. But I’m also really looking forward to having more kids around. Hubby and I want to have more kids, so next week we’ll get a taste of just how crazy it can be!

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

You're brave. Very, very brave. Also? Very sweet, kind, and willing to help others.

You? ROCK!!

Amy W said...

So when are you going to take my kids for a week? :).

Very, very nice of you.

And my kids? Totally put stuff in their mouths (Audrey still does).

Jennifer (Jen on the Edge) said...

I'll be dropping off my 6 and 8 year old next week, since you're clearly running some sort of Kiddy Kamp at your place. Luckily, my kids will keep small items out of their mouths.

Edie said...

Wow, I don't know if I could do that!!! I admire you for taking on this challenge. You will definitely have some interesting things to blog about next week. Good luck with everything.

Sherry said...

I so agree with edie cause I don't thnk I could do that either. Now take on your children for you, yes, Lucky Gem's children, yes, Kellie's, Morgan, yes, but mmmm all at the same time??!!!! I do believe I am wayyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy to old for that, haha I would never be able to keep up!!!!
You and your hubby have hearts of gold and I just know you will enjoy the extra three children will absolutely love being with you!!!
Good luck my dear!!!!

Rachel (Crazy-Is) said...

Girl, you are cuh-razy! Good luck!!