Tuesday, August 07, 2007

Day 2 of Having 5 Kids....

And I’m so freaking tired! I really don’t know how much sleep I got last night, but I know it wasn’t very much (or should I say, it was very broken up).

I got home yesterday and made dinner, which thankfully, was already marinating in the refrigerator. I didn’t get to eat a good dinner because the baby was crying the whole time. I had fed him and changed him…he just wanted held. After dinner we took the kids outside to have popsicles – but it was like 500 degrees out there and the humidity was absurd! However, we had popsicles and we got the hose out and tried to have a good time. Notice I said “tried” because little baby is screaming his head off and the other baby (16 month old) hates grass. He doesn’t want to sit on the blanket, swing or play in the sandbox. And if he comes in contact with grass he cries. So I take both he and the littlest one in to give them baths while hubby stayed outside with the older ones who were playing wonderfully in the sandbox.

As I was starting to give the 16 month-old a bath, I found something that soothed the newborn: the water running in the tub! So I let it run the whole time and I was able to give the 16 month-old a bath and get him dressed and into the crib. After that I gave the newborn a bath…he was awesome! He just looked at me the whole time even though his little lips were quivering because he was cold. Once he was dressed I put him in his bed (on his back) and let him cry for a little bit and he fell asleep.

By now the older ones were coming in so I took my daughter into our bathroom and she took a shower while the other two boys got a bath by hubby. The two boys go to bed and my daughter comes down with us and hangs out on the couch…it was very easy to tell she was seriously missing the “mommy daddy time” that was being eaten up by the extra guests.

Finally by 10:30 I can’t keep my eyes open anymore and we head to bed. The oldest boy and my daughter are still awake, which I hate because I have a hard time going to sleep until everyone is asleep, but last night was a different story! I was out fast.

But not for long. Newborn baby woke up at 11:00 and so I went downstairs and made him a bottle and fed him. Apparently I fell asleep because at 2:00 I woke up and tried to put him in his crib, only to have him wake up 5 minutes later wanting more food. Fell asleep again and laid him back in his bed at 6:30. By the time I was out of the shower he was screaming again. With this sleep thing I have learned/remembered 2 things:

-I totally realize why they recommend you take a 12 week maternity leave. Getting up with him and going back to work is killing me!

-I remember now why I used to dread the night time when my son was a newborn. I feel that way now…just the thought of trying to go to sleep because I’m so tired, but knowing I will wake up a ton of times is horrible!


We are still having a ton of fun…those are just the tiring points :) We feel confident that we can have a lot of kids…this is hard because they aren’t our kids and we wouldn’t have our kids so close together. We can see that if it was our son and a newborn we’d be fine. But throwing the 16 month-old into the mix is hard.

I hope you are all having a great week and getting a ton more sleep than I am!!!

9 comments:

Edie said...

I'm with you on the SIDS thing. Definitely put him on his back, to be safe.

Sorry you aren't sleeping. I remember what those nights were like. Ours lasted for about 14 months!! Ugh!! :)

Maybe tonight will be a tad better!!

Julie said...

Phew, I'm tired after just reading what you've been up to. More power to you - for me personally I'm maxed out at 2 kids.

Jennifer (Jen on the Edge) said...

Now that my younger one is almost 7, I don't think I could go through the newborn thing again. I'm a wimp!

Hang in there!!!!!!

Anonymous said...

One of the biggest issues for me when Morgan was brand new was being so tired and wanting to sleep but knowing I wouldn't get much (or very good) sleep.

Sounds like things are going pretty well--you? Braver than I. :)

Amy W said...

I was up for an hour last night with Audrey who apparently thought that 3:00 am was time to get up...so I feel your pain!

Rachel (Crazy-Is) said...

Sounds like you guys have a nice routine going!! Hope it continues to go well the rest of the week!

Jill said...

God bless you is all I have to say. I have mixed feelings about back vs. tummy sleeping. I was a tummy sleeper (like every other baby in the late 1960s). The thought never crossed my mind with my son. But one day during his nap at 3 months I put him on his tummy and he slept so much better and I kept doing it and life was much better for all of us!

Radioactive Tori said...

I am tired enough and my kids all sleep through the night most nights. Last night we had horrible thunderstorms and I was up several times in the night. I don't know how I used to be up all night with my kids and be ok! I was exhausted today!

I'll be thinking of you and wishing good sleep on everyone tonight!

Sherry said...

OH MY GOSH!!!! You and your husband are totally awesome to be doing this!! I mean WOW!!! I was reading you blog and truly getting exhausted!!!!! Amazing how you and your husband seem to have the routine going and still know that your daughter needs her "mommy and daddy" time, totally fantastic is all I can think of. I know you will survive this lack of sleep, just keep in mind it's not forever at least. You are doing a great job and I for one do admire you!!!