Friday, August 03, 2007

Next Week and DRAMA!

So we’re watching extra kids next week and of course there has to be drama surrounding this, doesn’t there? The nanny that’s coming to the house to watch the kids next week while we’re at work? DRAMA!

Supposedly (this just seems weird to me) someone scheduled her for an interview for a “real” job (what her degree is im) without checking with her first. So some lady is flying in to interview people on Thursday and she is signed up for it. She feels really bad and said she would tell them “no” if we can’t find anyone to watch the kids. Hello? This interview is for a “real” job…the one you went to college to get? What you want to do everyday? How on earth could I tell her she couldn’t go?

The other drama is that she thought the hours were from 7:30 – 4:30, when in fact they are from 7:00 – 5:00. So she has to leave early that day too because she has something that starts at 5:00. I know I’m painting her out to be a flake, but she really is sweet and nice…she just doesn’t understand that we work ½ hour away, so coming home during lunch while she interviews just isn’t an option.

I’ve also had a hard time dealing with wondering what I will get in return for doing this favor for our sitter…I hate that I keep thinking about it. My gut reaction to the situation was to help her out. But now I keep thinking “will she give me a discount for a couple weeks?” I’ve tried to talk to hubby about this and he’s helping me…I need to stop thinking about what people will give me for helping them, because that really and truly is not why I help people, but inevitably my brain starts thinking about it. She has made multiple comments about how she owes us and that if we ever need to go away without the kids she would be happy to keep them for us. Which is really sweet, but the problem is that if we ever went anywhere without our kids (which hardly ever happens) my parents would KILL me if anyone else got to watch them. They want those kids all the time, so I would probably never take her up on her offer.

So last night hubby and I thought of a solution and hopefully she goes for it. We decided to take a vacation with his parents in September, so I e-mailed our current sitter and asked her if as a trade-off, when we’re not there in September for that week, could we not pay (our agreement right now is we pay unless she takes days off for vacation or sick days)? I look at is like it’s not money actually coming out of her pocket, just less money coming in and she’s “on vacation” that week without my kids there. I haven’t heard back from her yet since I just sent it. I think it’s fair…what do you guys think?

5 comments:

Edie said...

I think that's fair as long as you know that she's not financially dependent on that money. If she is, maybe you could consider something like... I'll pay you for that week as expected, however, since the kids aren't going to be there, can you clean my house?!? or run some errands for me?!?

I dunno... just a thought.

Anonymous said...

I think it's fair. Even IF you're her sole income...there's several weeks between now and then that she can plan for NOT having your money that week.

Given that you and your husband saved her a TON of money by keeping her kids this coming week and that you, most likely, won't take her up on her offer to keep your children....her giving you a pass for the week you're on vacation is a good swap.

Jennifer (Jen on the Edge) said...

Sounds more than fair.

Sherry said...

More than fair, she is having more or less TWO weeks vacation, this week that you have her children, and the week that she won't have your children, so if she hesitates, mmm well don't know what to say to that one.
I so hope your nanny comes through for you this week, especially with extra children. GOOD LUCK

Amy W said...

I think it's fair as well.

I can't wait to hear how the week goes!!