Friday, August 17, 2007

A Sad Day...

My grandfather passed away yesterday.

I’m such a mixed bag of emotions right now….

I was never super close to any of my grandparents. We lived far away from all of them at some points, and then even when we lived close to one of the sets, we still didn’t see them a whole lot. I lost my mom’s mom and dad in middle school and college. I was the closest to my mom’s mom, but she passed away when I was in 8th grade.

When hubby and I moved to Columbus, we were physically closer to my other set of grandparents – my dad’s parents. This is the city where my dad grew up, so we were also closer to my dad’s brother and his family (hubby actually works with him now). The problem with these grandparents was that my mom despised them. I guess they were pretty horrible to her and overall, my grandmother was a very bitter person. I always heard about how bad they were. But my dad loved them…and they were nice to us, especially my grandpa (who we called Beepa which to this day no one in the family knows why).

I remember visiting them in the summer and them taking us to the zoo, and to the pool. Beepa took us to the bookstore and bought us books (something my dad does often with my kids). There was a huge tree by their house that we loved to go down and climb. Their house smelled funny. Beepa was diabetic, so the only treats in their house were sugar-free. They loved to shop. But only clearance items…they would go to the huge Lazarus downtown (which is now Macy’s) and shop the top floor where all the clearance items were. They go really good deals and their whole apartment was always filled with stuff. We would always joke about getting “Beepa presents.” I got a lot of dishes and knife sets from him…they were great bargain hunters!

They moved into an assisted living community about 6 years ago. It’s one of those that starts you off in your own apartment and you’re completely on your own if you want to be, but you don’t have to mow or shovel sidewalks or anything like that. The winter after my daughter was born my grandmother passed away. It really wasn’t that hard for me because she was such a bitter person and not fun to be around at all.

Over the past 4 years Beepa has been at our house most Sundays…my dad comes up and visits him and then brings him over so he gets company and so my dad can see his grandkids. I have pictures of him holding both of my kids after they were just born.

He went into the hospital about a month ago and was recently moved into the hospital at his nursing home. We all knew this was coming, yet it’s still hard. I think the hardest thing will be seeing my dad and his brothers and sister over the next week…losing a parent is difficult, even when you know they won’t be here much longer.

The worst part about this whole thing is thinking about the future when my parents pass away, and thinking about how I will deal with it, and also, how my kids will deal with it since they are so close to my parents. Death is hard and scary. Even though I know that everyone in my family will be reunited in Heaven one day, I’m still dreading dealing with it because unfortunately, while still on earth, there are tears and sadness over loved ones lost.

11 comments:

Radioactive Tori said...

I am so sorry for your loss!

Jennifer (Jen on the Edge) said...

I am so sorry. I'll be thinking of you in the next few days as you gather with your family to mourn.

ChrisB said...

I am so sorry to hear of your family's loss. Loosing a parent is somthing we would all rather not think about (my mother lives with me and she often says she's ready to go but it's not something I want to face). I remember when my girls were young I used to think I hope nothing happens to me until they are grown up and settled. Now 40 years on, I have grandchildren an my thoughts are exactly the same. Children are resilient, they will have sadness but they will remember all the good times. That's what I am hoping anyway. God Bless. sorry I've rambled.

Sherry said...

So sorry for your loss. Try to keep in mind that your "Beepa" is now reunited with all the loved ones he has lost. He is in heaven no doubt "clearance" shopping for tons of goodies to have on hand, when everyone has their reunion up there.
Be strong for your children and your dad, but also know you have people that care about you and are wishing we could be there to help you out.
Death is hard and scary I so agree, but also it's just the beginning of a beautiful journey in heaven.

Anonymous said...

I'm so sorry your Beepa passed away. Both my Papa's passed away and I miss them terribly.

Beepa will be in Heaven watching over you and your family and smiling as you all move through life.

Big hugs to you, girly...

Rachel (Crazy-Is) said...

I am so sorry for you loss. Losing someone is never easy. Sending big hugs your way.

Amy W said...

HUGS

I am so very sorry...

Michele_3 said...

I know I'm on a break~
but felt I really needed to comment on your post. I'm truly very sorry for your loss-

It is never easy losing loved ones!
Sending Big HUGS your way!

Anonymous said...

You and your family are in my thoughts. My mother had a heart attack two months ago. It left me really thinking about how I'll feel if/when they die and how hard it'll be to explain to my kids who are both very close to them too. Life is so complicated sometimes.

Anonymous said...

I never really know what to say in moments like these, but I know I should say something. I'm so sorry. I'll be thinking of you

Julie said...

I'm sorry for your loss. Death is never easy to deal with.