Thursday, July 19, 2007

There’s a country song out there (yes, I do like country music. New stuff only. Not old stuff) by Montgomery Gentry called “Lucky Man.” For those of you that don’t know it, here are the lyrics (pay special attention to the chorus):

I have days where I hate my job
This little town and the whole world too
Last Sunday when the Buckeyes lostLord it put me in a bad mood
I have moments when I curse the rain
Then complain when the sun's too hot
I look around at what everyone hasAnd I forget about all I've got

Chorus:
But I know I'm a lucky man
God's given me a pretty fair hand
Got a house and a piece of land
A few dollars in a coffee can
My old trucks still running good
My ticker's ticking like they say it should
I got supper in the oven,
a good woman's loving
And one more day to be my little kid's dad
Lord, knows I'm a lucky man

Got some friends who would be here fast
I could call em any time of day
Got a brother who's got my back
Got a mama who I swears a saint
Got a brand new rod and reel
Got a full week off this year
Dad had a close call last spring
It's a miracle he's still here

Chorus:
But I know I'm a lucky man
God's given me a pretty fair hand
Got a house and a piece of land
A few dollars in a coffee can
My old trucks still running good
My ticker's ticking like they say it should
I got supper in the oven,
a good woman's loving
And even my bad days ain't that bad

Lord knows I'm a lucky man
I'm a lucky lucky man


Every time I hear this song I really stop and think about how lucky I am. I have my wonderful husband; I have two wonderful, healthy children; My husband and I both have great jobs; we live in a wonderful community; I could go on and on. And while my life is no where near perfect, if I make myself stop and think about those words, I realize that I have everything I need…God has given me a GREAT hand, and for that I’m truly grateful.

Last night it was about 11:00 when the kids were finally bathed and ready for bed. I didn’t care how late it was…I took my son up to his room and I rocked him. I haven’t done that in at least a year. I wrapped both of us in a huge, soft blanket and we cuddled. I started singing to him, and he sang with me (we sang “hush little baby” and “Twinkle Twinkle” which he knows all the words to). Then he closed his eyes while I continued singing to him and he fell asleep. It was the best 15 minutes I’ve had in a long time.

One more day to be my little kids’ mom
….

11 comments:

Anonymous said...

My life is far from perfect, too. I don't have all I "want", but I have all I "need" and that's that matters.

This song hits home for a lot of us!!

Amy W said...

I too like that song (and country music as well). Thanks for reminding us what matters in life!

Jennifer (Jen on the Edge) said...

Thanks for the reminder of how lucky we all are!

Anonymous said...

Awesome! I am going to download that today. Great find.

Edie said...

We are truly lucky. Being a mother is the greatest gift I have ever been given. I can't believe such a beautiful thing was bestowed upon me and I try very hard not to take it for granted.

Thanks for the reminder.

Rachel (Crazy-Is) said...

That song always makes me think too! Sometimes we all need a reminder of what we DO have instead of what we DON'T have. Thank you.

By the way, down here it's "last Sunday when my TITANS lost"! Seriously, that's what the song says!

Jill said...

around here it says my Bengals. and its nowhere near Bengal country. i guess it matters where you live?

Sherry said...

It's a great song and oh yeah I am country music all the way!!!!
Not only does the song make you stop and think, it also humbles me because there are days when all that's in my vocabulary is "I WANT" and you know I shouldn't be that way cause I have it all. My hubby, mom, kids, and grandkids!!! WOW I too thank you for the wonderful reminder of what life is really all about.
You and your son all snuggled singing, just so peaceful to think about. Hug your children and be thankful for them!!!
THANKS FOR THE GREAT BLOG!!!!!

Michele_3 said...

Very sweet, I have my little moments with my boys like that too-The quiet moments are the best times & so PRICELESS!

Thanks for reminding me to count my blessings today!

HUGS!

Jill said...

I do the same thing...try to steal 10 or 15 minutes in a chair rocking my little guy. When he was a baby I'd sit and hold him for an hour or two after he fell asleep, just soaking in the goodness.

Melody said...

Great song!

I miss the days of rocking my kids. They're 17 and 12 now. Cherish every moment!