Wednesday, July 18, 2007

Supernanny To The Rescue!

My daughter and I absolutely love to watch Supernanny (my daughter calls it “the bad kids show”). So last night she and I watched the one from Monday night. I have to say that each time I watch that show I am more and more appalled! I cannot believe that there are actually parents out there that are like the parents on these shows!

Now some of the families on there are legit…I saw one about a woman that had four sons and her husband and just recently died. You know those kids are going through hell and acting out. But if any of you saw the one from Monday night, you will completely understand what I’m talking about! The parents literally sat around and did nothing! All day, just sat and looked around. The mom got down to play with the youngest one once during the whole day. They didn’t even watch TV…nothing! And their two boys (10 and 4) were bored out of their minds so they fought with each other. The little one had cuss words coming out of his mouth every two seconds, and he also got away with biting and hitting his brother because, by her own admission, his mom was too worn out to deal with them. In the interview with Jo-Jo she admitted that it was hard to play with them, hard to discipline them, etc. Jo looked at her and said “don’t tell me it’s hard…parenting’s hard work!”

As soon as Jo introduced games and things for the kids to do, there were no more problems. It was the first episode that the “naughty corner” was never used (wasn’t even mentioned, and you know how Jo loves the naughty corner!). How sad is it that all these years the parents just sat around and had they remembered how to play, their boys would have never had any problems. Oh, and get this…the dad was a cop. He was so freaking passive I just couldn’t believe his job was to be forceful because at home hi barely said two words…just sat there!

OK, I didn’t mean for this to turn into a review of Supernanny, but I’m constantly amazed that there really are parents out there like these. Watching this family, I have to ask myself…why on earth did they have kids to begin with?

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I don't usually watch this show, but have found myself amazed and appalled at some parents when I see them and their children in public. It makes me ask myself the same question: "WHY?"

Sherry said...

I love the show and watch it every chance I get. I agree so hard to think these people call themselves parents. Also I so find it hard to believe how bad some of those children can be.
The key to success is what you have. Interaction with your children!!! You don't have babies and then think they can raise themselves, that's just nuts!!!

Edie said...

I watch this show on occasion and I totally agree... How can these adults sit around and let the kids rule the roost? (so to speak) There must be some form of discipline and respect in the house in order for the kids to grow up and be law abiding citizens!!

And it's just sad that the parents in this show just didn't know how to play with their kids. What's even more sad is that the reason they didn't know how to play was probably b/c their parents didn't play with them. :(

Radioactive Tori said...

It makes me sad to watch that show. I know I am far from perfect, but I just can't believe some of the people volunteer to be on the show! I suppose it is good they are willing to get help, and realize what they are doing is not working, but it makes me sad that people have kids and then don't try to be with them at all. I can't imagine, but I guess that is because my kids are my favorite people in the world, and I would love to play with them all day every day.