Friday, July 13, 2007

Bedtime.....

I am having the hardest time with bedtime every night. It’s not getting the kids to go to sleep that's hard, it’s getting the kids in the house to take a bath, and then actually getting them into bed. And it’s not because they’re giving me a hard time and won’t listen to me, it’s because I have a hard time making myself tell them to come in and take a bath.

Since it stays light outside for so long, we usually don’t come in from playing until 9:30. Every morning I swear I’m going to bring them in at 8:00 and start the bedtime routine earlier, but every night I fail to do so. Then once they come in it’s immediately up to the bath tub. After bath I get the usual requests: “Can I watch one Mr. Roger’s?” or “Can you read me a book?” How can I say “no?” OK really, I could, but I just don’t want to.

We have so much fun with the kids that I dread putting them to bed because I feel like I can’t get enough of them. And thankfully, the way we have the sitter set up (the new one will be this way as well) we don’t wake them up when we take them in the morning…so they stay asleep until 8:00 or 9:00 every morning. I’m pretty sure they should be getting more sleep (they do both still take naps, thankfully) but I just hate the thought of putting them to bed when they want to stay up and play with me, and I want them to stay up and play with me.

I heard from a speaker at a conference that working moms talk to their kids an average of 11 minutes per day. Yuck! Then she went on to say that stay-at-home moms talk to their kids an average of ½ hour per day. Double Yuck! So I figure that while my kids might be losing sleep, at least they get a good 5 hours of me every day, and that has to be a benefit, right?

What about you guys? Are you having a hard time with bedtimes in the summer? Do you talk to your kids more than the averages? (please say you do :) ).

7 comments:

Rach said...

Hi. My kid's older (10 yrs), so talking to her is almost like talking to a younger friend. So we talk on the phone 3-4 times a day before I come home and then caht about the day.

But yes, letting them go out of your sight into bed and not listening to their wide-eyed adventures is tough to take a hard call on! Just ask yourself 2 questions: are your kids getting a total of 8-9 hrs of sleep? If yes, their basic sleep needs to keep them healthy are met. Second qs: What do you want them to remember you as? The mom that ensured 10 hours of sleep by hook or crook, or the mom that gave them the most loving experiences?

I'd go with the latter. I do.

Anonymous said...

I think you're doing the right thing. As long as they're getting enough sleep and aren't dragging in the mornings, I see no reason to drag them in and have them in bed by 8.

Morgan's in bed at 8. But, she's still little. And, she NEEDS to be in bed by 8. I've tried, over the last few weeks, keeping her out when it's nice out or keeping her up beyond 8 and once 7:30 hits....she smashes into a brick wall, gets cranky and then sleeps terrible all night.

As she gets older, I'll so be keeping her up later!! Enjoy being outside until 9:30--once winter hits, we'll all hate that it's dark out at 5!!

Edie said...

Hey, I've jumped over to visit from 'A Family Story'... I think you've got an interesting dillema going on here. I totally think you're fine keeping them up as long as they are getting all the sleep they need. These times with our young ones are so precious and they won't be here forever. Definitely spend as much time as possible with them.

Oh, and I work, and I totally talk to my child more than 11 minutes a day. Where did they get that statistic from?? CRAZY!!

Julie said...

As always you bring up an interesting topic. I think if it works for you and your kids then it works. I personally like my kids to be in bed by 9p (little one is in by 8p) because otherwise my husband & I don't get any down time at night by ourselves. Plus with it being lighter later, they are more tired after playing outside and need to be in bed by then.

I think that 11 minute thing is ridiculous. It takes me longer than that to drive to daycare and we chat the whole time.

Sherry said...

You have to be the best mom around. Your love and caring for your children come through loud and clear each and every time you write about them.
You are all happy, you talk and play with your children so don't worry about it. I am sure they get enough sleep. Children are smarter than we give them credit for. When they are tired they will catch up and be ready to go again.
11 minutes a day?? wow if it's true it's sad. But thinking about it, I bet it is true.
I remember Ashley had a homework assignment and for every night that we ate as a "family" she would get extra credit. I am proud to say she aced that as we always eat as a family, tv off and sit at the table together and talk. But she said most kids don't. I know alot of her friends and Bryce's come here and are amazed we have family dinners. Now to me that's sad!!!!
You keep up being the fantastic mom that you are,
I have caught up on my blog reading now and sorry I haven't commented on the ones I have been behind in. Just know I did read them and am so happy you have a new sitter!!!

Amy W said...

Considering Ashley doesn't stop talking from the time I pick her up from school at 5:00 until she goes to bed between 8 and 9:00pm, I say I am way above the average!

I too have a problem in summer. And we also let Ashley stay up late on weekend nights. Its a little different for us though as they have to be to school by 8:45am for when lessons start. But no matter how late they go to bed, my kids are up early, so I guess it works out.

Rachel (Crazy-Is) said...

I have to say that I am positive that I talk to my kids more than that each day! Definitely. I am a little more lenient on bedtime during the summer, but I can't be that lenient with Kaylie because then I have to spend 2 weeks trying to get her back on schedule for school to start.