Monday, July 16, 2007

It’s funny to watch who my daughter picks to play with. It might be the girl with the prettiest dress on, or it might be the girl with the cool hair, or it might be the girl that has the neat toy. But what I’ve learned is that basically it varies from minute to minute. As we were teaching Sunday school yesterday, I watched her as she played and jumped from friend to friend (there were about 7 girls in the class). But as I watched closer I began to see the part of socialization that is sad, hurtful, and mean: rejection.

There are a couple of little girls in the class that I have always wanted my daughter to be close to. Looking back I’m not sure why…I think it’s because they always seemed like such sweet girls and they always wanted to be around me and sit in my lap and hold my hand. I knew their parents (OK, actually I know pretty much all of the kids’ parents) but it seemed to make since for them to be friends. However, my thoughts have since changed.

My daughter was running around, having a good time and she actually had two little girls following her and doing whatever she did. When I took them to the bathroom, there were two girls holding hands, and then my daughter was holding hands with two other little girls that had been following her around. My daughter reached out to hold the other girls hand to make it 5 total girls, but the girl pulled her hand away and said “noooo.” OK, let me just tell you how much the childish and protective mom in me wanted to tell that little girl to be nice to my daughter and hold her hand. But I didn’t and it didn’t seem to phase my daughter at all. Then we were back in the classroom and the kids had to sit at the tables for their snack. My daughter wanted to sit next to that little girl that didn’t want to hold her hand, so she was moving her chair, and the other little girl said “nooo” again and moved her chair away from her. My daughter complained to me, and this time I had to say something….in front of everyone I just said “why would you want to sit by someone or be friends with someone who is mean to you?” My daughter looked at me and took in what I said, and put her chair by the other little girls that wanted to sit by her.

Obviously I know this is only going to get much, much worse. And I know my daughter will get through all the years of middle school and high school and the popularity issues, but I also know it will be a tough battle for her. I just pray that I can teach her that there are always friends around, and sometimes the best friends are not the ones we initially want as our friends.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'd have said the same thing to Morgan (and, I'm sure I will). Kids can be mean (especially girls!) and I worry, too, that Morgan will be hurt by her "friends" as she gets older.

Rachel (Crazy-Is) said...

I dread having to deal with that. Kaylie sometimes tells me that someone was mean to her and I just have to let her know that sometime kids are mean and she shouldn't let it bother her. It makes me angry as hell inside though!

Last weekend, I was eating breakfast with, Haley, my stepdaughter (who will be 4 next month) and she told me about 2 girls at her daycare that told her that 3-year olds are babies. Now you know that being a "big girl" is huge to a 3 year old! This made me so mad, but I told her to tell them that she is almost 4 and is NOT a baby!

Jennifer (Jen on the Edge) said...

My girls are 6 and 8 and, so far, we haven't had this problem yet. Cross your fingers that it stays this way!

Unknown said...

Being picked on and unpopular all throughout school has me really scared for Caleb. I hope that I can teach him how important real friends are, because I did not realize that until I graduated. I was always trying to fit in with the cliques that wouldn't accept me, so I lost sight of the ones that wanted me. I just hope he will stay true to himself and appreciate the true friends he has, instead of chasing after the ones that don't care. It's scary knowing the challenges that they will face, but we all made it and I am sure they will too.

a happier girl said...

So true. What a wonderful lesson to teach a kid early in life! So many people never manage to learn that lesson.

Sherry said...

Children are smart, and let's hope they know if someone is picking on them, to tell you. You can't protect them from it, but at least they will know they can go to you just to "talk"
You being the great mom you are, will be there and you daughter will be just fine.