Tuesday, July 03, 2007

Lost: If Found, PLEASE Return!

I would like to know what has happened to my creativity. It really hit me yesterday…I think it’s really and truly gone.

I think back to before I had my own kids – I was so creative when it came to playing with other people’s kids! I would come up with all kinds of games, and unique ways to do things. But now I’m so proud of myself when I just think of a new game – how come it came so easy to me back then? I feel like I’m really cheating my kids. When we play games we play by the rules (not because I’m being a stick in the mud, but because my brain doesn’t think of new ways to play them).

I read in magazines and hear from friends different things that moms do to have fun with their kids, and I think to myself “I could have done that,” or “why in the world didn’t I think of doing something like that?”

Does anyone else have this problem? Is it because now I have all the mommy stress that I didn’t have before since they weren’t my kids I was playing with? Or am I just going downhill as a mommy when it comes to fun games to play? Has anyone been through this and come out being creative again?

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

You're NOT going downhill as a mommy. You're a fantastic mom!! Morgan's only 17 months old and I have NO creativity when it comes to ANYTHING! Thank God one of my friends is a preschool teacher--she has tons of cool ideas for the kids!!

Dani said...

Totally have the same issue. It's only afterward that I think, wait I could have done... I think it's because we don't plan things out ahead of time and give our brains time to percolate on it a bit. Or sometimes I'm just tired and it's easier to play by the rules.

Julie said...

For me it's a time issue - squeezing everything into the day is hard enough - without adding anything new and different into our routine.

Melody said...

New to blogging and had to comment on your lack of creativity issue. I think it's definitely a "lack of time" issue. There are so many things fit into each day and remember I think our brains just get overloaded. Something's gotta give and apparently, at least for me, it's creativity.

Jennifer (Jen on the Edge) said...

Nope, you're not going downhill as a mother. We all hit these patches when it seems like we're not up to snuff. Really, it's just that we juggle so much, it's hard to stay fresh and recharged. Hang in there. Get through the other stresses you have going on -- the creativity will come back soon enough.

Oh, and the blog seems to be completely unaffected by your claimed lack of creativity. :-)