Monday, February 26, 2007

I'm Warning You, This Is Very Long and Somewhat Boring :)

I had a long weekend! Oh, and I’m ready to kill my son. But let’s start with Friday, shall we? Wait, Friday was boring…we just went to the Y and worked out, which was nice because there was hardly anyone there so we were free to “play” on the machines and try new things without looking stupid in front of a bunch of people :)

On Saturday we watched our friends’ little girls and worked around the house a little. Again, boring. But that afternoon we went to my friend’s wedding and it was…interesting. It was a very laid-back ceremony, which is just like my friend, so it was very appropriate. The reception is where it got interesting. We walked into the hall and were told that we could pick anywhere to sit, and that there were food tables set up all around the room. So we were to get food, sit down, eat, mingle, eat more food, etc. OOOOKKKK. So we sat with my one friend that has 2 kids as well and had a great time talking to them. The food was cheap, but good. There were bacon-wrapped water chestnuts, mini egg rolls, meatballs, prime rib for sandwiches, and a potato bar (a choice of either mashed or sweet potatoes with all of the toppings you could ever want), and like I said, it was a cheap meal, but at least the food was really good. The bride and groom came in and cut the cake right away (the only other wedding that I have ever been to where they did this was this past summer…it was the ex-boyfriend of the girl whose wedding I was at!). I spent a little time with each of my former roommates, but it’s really sad…we’re so different that there wasn’t much to talk about. I mean we were all polite and everything, but they had nothing to say about kids, and I have nothing to say about going out on the weekends. So hubby and I left at 8:00. That’s right. We figured we would have much more fun if we were home with our kids than staying at a wedding reception and just sitting there looking like idiots.

After we had been home a while, our friend called to ask if I could come over and sit at their house while she went to pick her husband up at the airport. My daughter wanted to go with me, so we trudged over there at 10:00. It was so icy out! We were careful, but it was dangerously slippery out there. We sat in the house until around 11:15 when they got home, made some small talk, and then headed out. It was so slippery that I decided that we would walk on the snow-covered grass to keep us from falling. Right about the time that I realized that getting home was going to be very difficult, our friends had shut their garage door. Now mind you, we live two houses down, and we are only separated by an empty lot right now (waiting for my parents to make some decisions and build on it!). My poor little girl was so scared…she was slipping all over the place. The worst part is that it was so icy that even me standing on top of the snow wouldn’t break it…it was like an ice rink. It got so bad that I had to stand in one spot for about a minute because I had no idea how in the world I was going to move without falling. My poor little girl was crying her eyes out - I almost had her get on my lap and I was going to scoot the rest of the way home. Thankfully I was able to move and my daughter became quite the encourager! I was so proud of her…she would say things like “Mommy, we’re here, we’re almost home” and “we’re going to make it Mommy, our house is so close!” 10 minutes later we were able to get up the driveway and into the garage. I felt bad because I later saw how hard I was holding her had to keep her from falling, and thankfully, she didn’t realize it until we got inside the house! My poor hubby felt so bad, but even if he had known we were out there, there really wasn’t anything he could do. He took us inside and we sat and watched Nick at Nite for a little bit and then headed to bed.

We didn’t go to church on Sunday because the roads were still pretty bad. Actually, we really didn’t do hardly anything yesterday except go grocery shopping. However, the events began yesterday that made me want to kill my son. He still takes 2 naps per day. Since he got to sleep in yesterday, his first nap didn’t end until around 12:00. We usually try to time his second nap with my daughter’s nap so that we can either 1.) take a nap too, or 2.) do something for ourselves. So hubby and my daughter went to take a nap. I thought I was going to be up with him since it still seemed early for him to be tired again, but he saw hubby and my daughter go into our room together and my son told me “daddy’s oom”. I asked him if he wanted to get paci and take a nap in Daddy’s room and he said “yes”. I was so excited! I ran up and got his paci and we laid down for a couple of seconds and he told me “papaw’s oom”. So I picked him up and took him to the guest room. He rolled around for a while, took his paci out and said “all done nap”. I took him downstairs to play with his trains (mind you, I’m really tired and could really use a nap right now) and after about 20 minutes he’s rubbing his eyes and acting tired, so I take him up to his crib and lay him down, and he goes to sleep!!! For 30 minutes. I couldn’t believe it and I was mad! So fast forward, we go grocery shopping, he’s a pistol, and we get home and I make dinner and hubby proceeds to watch the NASCAR race. After a while my daughter calls for me, and I ask her “what?” and she tells me that her brother was into the markers. I run downstairs and see his shirt covered with “coloring” and his train mat is the same way (which is no big deal because we were just using shelf liners for that). But there is also some on the carpet. And my son has no idea what he did wrong. No matter how many times we “yelled” at him, he just said “OOOOkay” So I took him up and gave him a bath and put him to bed at 7:45, which is really early for him. That should have been my first hint. We hang out and play, and hubby and I finally get to be around 11:15. My son wakes up at 1:00, and then again at 2:00, and then again at 3:00, and then finally at 6:15. My poor hubby was up with him, letting him scream his head off. And for my son, this is so abnormal…he normally NEVER wakes up when everything’s fine and normal. I think it had to do with the fact that he went to bed so early, and that he has at least 2 teeth coming in.

So I was supposed to go to the Y this morning, but there was no way I was going to be able to, so I’m planning on going tonight after work.

I know the story above was horribly written, but it was so long I just wanted to get it down so that it was down and you can read it and sympathize with me and take my son for a couple of days or years, whichever you prefer. Really, he has you fooled with his cute little face.

OK, I’m lying. No matter how mad I get at the little booger, I just have to look at his cute little smile and those big eyes, and I melt.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Not boring. It's normal life :) I'll take him for a week. Hell, I'll take both your kids for a week. You deserve a break. And, Morgan is cutting 4 teeth right now (thankfully, sleeping all night AND napping during the day), so what's one more teething child, right? I'll take the 3 of them to Target.

Hope everyone can get some sleep!!!

Amy W said...

He still takes two naps a day? That's pretty awesome!