Wednesday, May 16, 2007

You Will Be So Proud of Me.....

Last night I was going over the HUGE list in my head of all the things that need to be done for my daughter’s party on Saturday, and then my sister-in-law’s shower on Sunday. Hubby actually fell asleep on the couch after dinner (he has been up painting the last couple of nights, and he made dinner, so I cut him some slack) so I decided that the kids could play inside, even though it was absolutely gorgeous outside, so that I could get some things done. My daughter kept asking me if we could go outside and play and I kept telling her “no,” I had get the house ready for her party. Do you know what words actually came out of my mouth in my frustration? “You choose, we can go outside but then we can’t have your party because the stuff is not done. Which do you want? Outside now or birthday party?” I’m absolutely appalled at myself! Of course she chose the party and went back to playing.

Then all of a sudden it hit me like a ton of bricks. Who cares about the house right now? I could work on it after they go to bed. Here it is, a gorgeous evening, and we’re inside. So I went back to them and said “get your shoes on, we’re going outside!” Do you know what my daughter said? “No Mommy, I want my party.” Heart.Broken. I told her she would definitely still have her party – I had just changed my mind.

So we went outside, and then went for a walk down to the pond, and then visited with some neighbors, and then came home and I gave the kids a bath. At the end of their bath hubby woke up and started painting. I put the kids to sleep and changed my clothes to paint and hubby told me to get a glass of wine and sit and watch TV. So I folded one more load of laundry, grabbed a wine cooler and a bottle of nail polish and painted my toenails…something I haven’t had time to do in months!

So while I didn’t get as much done as I had wanted, but it was a fun night and in my heart I know I did the right thing. So thank you internet-support team! Keep it coming, because with your support, I know I can overcome the need to be “supermom.”

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

Excellent!! While I've written many a post about being frustrated with my daughter, it's MY turn to tell YOU you have no reason to be appalled at yourself. You have SO much going on and are trying to get 32 things done at once. Give yourself a break.

I'm glad you got some time to chill last night. You need it :)

Kelly said...

You know when we are all frustrated..strange things comes out of our mouths. It's ok! Really it is, there is no need to be appalled at yourself. Your human and you have a million things going at once...it's going to happen!!

Nice of Hubby to give you time to yourself!

Jennifer (Jen on the Edge) said...

I'm so glad you gave yourself a break and that you spent time doing something for YOU.

Anonymous said...

It's a catch 22. You can clean the house only to have your kids mess it up again, or you can wait till they go to bed and be overly exhausted when it's all done.

I feel your pain!

Amy W said...

I am sure the party will be awesome no matter what you do! Good for you for having a wine cooler and painting your nails...and for going outside.

Anonymous said...

Good for you! She isn't going to remember what the house looked like only that mommy had fun with them.

Hey I should remember that myself!

Radioactive Tori said...

I am so proud of you. Believe me when I say that I know exactly how hard that must have been! I have been really trying to get back to how I used to be, where we were relaxed and just had fun. Sometimes it does happen again, but sometimes it is really hard to remember what the actual goal is and focus on the tiny things that don't even matter.

I almost passed up an evening alone with my husband to "get ready for a party". What was I thinking?!?

Michele_3 said...

Good for you!!
I know how hard it can be to stop rolling full steam ahead & to chill out once in awhile- My husband makes me relax just like your hubby did-LOL!
Take Care!!
:)