Thursday, May 17, 2007

Birthday Present Decisions

Last night we took the kids to Toys ‘R Us to try to decide what to get my daughter for her birthday. We have been torn, because she LOVES her Barbie Jeep (powerwheels), but it’s a hand me down from our good friends…our daughter is the third little girl to go through it. The wheels are bent (they are actually the third set of wheels) and it’s just very worn. So we wanted to get her a new one. The problem is that we really didn’t want to get her something pink because then our son couldn’t use it. We got our daughter one of the smaller ones when she was 2, and now our son loves to drive it, but it’s purple and pink. So we didn’t want to make the same mistake again. So hubby went online and found this nice little thing that can go anywhere. It’s definitely not girly at all (the one at the store is actually dark green and yellow), and it’s quite a bit more expensive, but they could drive on all the open lots we still have, go over the curbs, and nothing would hurt it!

So the kids sat in it and played in it. It has some really neat features – it’s huge! And it has a real radio in it (picks up real stations), and it has a thing that shows how much battery life you have left. But did I mention how much it cost?

We went back and forth and finally realized that this should last through all of the kids we plan to have, and that she and her brother, and future children will really love it and we will get our money’s worth. So we bought it. We paid the extra $25 to have it assembled because hubby and our good friend spent hours putting the Barbie one together 5 years ago, and hubby thought $25 was a great price for someone else to do it!

But I really don’t want to give it to just my daughter. She and my son are having a hard time right now with the whole “mine” thing, and I could see this being a source of arguments in the future. So while we’ll give it to THEM tomorrow or the next day, we bought a couple little Fairytopia dolls (my daughter’s new obsession) for her actual presents.

I blame my ability to spend oogles of money on powerwheels on the fact that my parents would never get us one. And I really wanted one when I was little.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Spending the money is worth it--not like it'll get used for a few weeks and then never again. Big purchases like that are more than justified!!

I can't wait to get one for Morgan :)

Julie said...

We've never bought one of those motorized toys but I could imagine my girls fighting over it. I think it's smart to give it to both of them.

Oh, the world of Fairytopia. Abby was really into them about a year ago - we've even seen the live stage show. Fun fun!

Michele_3 said...

Let me know how you like it-
We wanted to get one for our youngest on his next birthday coming up-he'll be 4!
We had a few when my other sons were really young (not great ones..)But I really want to get a good one that works well & will last long, That jeep looks like a great one!
:)

Jennifer (Jen on the Edge) said...

While I'm sure our parents thought they were doing the right thing by not spoiling us when we were kids, I'm happy to spoil mine a bit. I think it's great you're getting something so fun for the kids.

Sherry said...

oh wow first try and I am in YAHOO
Okay so you all ready know I think the quad is a cutie, so way to go.
I only hope now I won't have any more problems getting to the comment section.
Happy partying!!