Wednesday, May 09, 2007

I’ve decided that it would do our kids a lot better if dads took the kids to the park more often. Why, you ask? Because last night I noticed something…something so big it impacts our kids’ development.

We went to eat at Joe's Crab Shack, and while we were waiting for our food, we took the kids down to the wonderful playground they have set up. My son is almost two, so he still comes down the stairs on either his stomach or his butt; he is still such a little thing. And my daughter is a little hesitant about some of the apparatuses, so she takes her time. Well last night there were some older kids playing as well, and hubby and I were standing there watching everything, right next to the playground. My son was starting to go down the slide and a little boy ran over and climbed up the slide. My first gut reaction was to tell the kid that he was going the wrong way and then scour the crowd to give his mother a dirty look. But for some reason I just stood there and watched (as hubby was already doing), and my son patiently waited (and watched with amazement) as this little boy climbed up past him, and then he slid himself down.

My son was fine…he was slowly learning his own independence, and how to pick his battles…he didn’t mind waiting for the other kid (me, on the other hand, would have been screaming at him to MOVE). And then I thought back, and I realized that this is how hubby always deals with other kids. The only time he ever says anything to another child is if a child hurts one of ours…but other than that, he watches and lets our kids handle the situations themselves.

I know my kids will definitely benefit more from his careful watching eye than my constantly running in to “save my baby.”

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'd have reacted the same way. It's natural. But, what you did (watching, waiting), was perfect. Something I'll have to keep in mind when Morgan gets a bit bigger.

Good job :)

Amy W said...

I would have reacted the same as well, telling the kid to move. I actually made a kid cry once at Chick fil a because I told him not to climb up the slide.

Jennifer (Jen on the Edge) said...

It's amazing what we moms can occasionally learn from the dads we're married to. :-)

Julie said...

Joe's Crab Shack has a playground in it? I must check out the one near our house!

Sometimes Dad is right - not always but sometimes! : )

Rachel (Crazy-Is) said...

It's hard not to want to say something. If someone were to be picking on any of my kids, I would have a hard time letting them work the situation out themselves. But, I guess they have to learn how to stand up for themselves at some point.