Friday, May 18, 2007

A Birthday Letter


To My Precious Little Princess:

Right now you are sleeping in my bed. You yet again talked me into letting you watch Barney because “we didn’t get to watch a movie.” And since no movie was ever talked about, let alone promised, I’m confused as to how you got your way, but you did. You are a master negotiator, and that is just one of the MANY things that I love about you.

So many times last night you expressed how excited you were that tomorrow was our day…just mommy and you. You kept telling me that you love to spend time with mommy…I felt so happy! Today will be our day…just ours. Whatever you want to do, we’ll do it!

You are such a smart little girl…you beg me to do Hooked on Phonics with you and teach you how to read, because you don’t like to “pretend the wrong words” when you read it yourself. You are trying to learn how to tie your shoes, and you can count to 100 without any help.

You always want to help me…with everything I do. Last night you filled the goody bags for your party…you were so proud of yourself! Grandma called and you told her all about how you divided everything up and filled them all yourself! You have been helping us paint each night…you are so good at it! When I was cleaning up after dinner I said that I had to clean the table and then we would take a bath. You asked me “do you want me to go downstairs and get my cleaning stuff and do it for you mom?” You want to learn how to do everything by yourself, and you’ve learned that they way to do that is to help us, and you try; every chance you get.

You love your little brother (sometimes a little too much!). You were always so good about telling anyone who watches him that he’s allergic to eggs. And if he ever threw up, no matter where he was, you would ask the adult there “did you give him egss?” You help him find the toy he wants since he’s too little to look for it himself. He looks up to you, and copies everything you do, and you eat that up. You told him in the car last night when you handed him a snack “don’t put the whole thing in your mouth, take bites!”

You make me laugh, and that is the one trait (that we can see so far) that you inherited from your dad. You look like me, act like me and talk like me, but you want and are able to make people laugh, and that’s why I love your dad, so it’s the one trait I’m so glad he passed on to you.

When you talk you sound like you’re 12, not 4. You have always talked well and we have received compliments for your speech since you were 15 months-old. And it keeps improving. Today you asked me what “treason” meant. I love answering your “what does this word mean?” questions; it keeps me on my toes. Your attitude is also that of a 12 year-old, which is probably from hanging out with me and our two little (older) neighbors whom you have grown up with. You tell me “whatever, well duh, and of course” all the time. But you’re not disrespectful when you say it, because you’re too young to actually know what you’re saying.

Last year at this time I would have written about your lack of hair, and how it was finally starting to come in. Now you have absolutely CRAZY hair! It’s curly, and we have no idea where you got that from. And only I insist on styling it all the time, so when I pick you up from the sitter’s, it is a frizz ball gone wrong! And you know how you like it. You will tell me if you want to wear it curly or straight, ponytail or pigtails, headband or clippy. You have fun playing stylist with your Ariel salon that your wonderful stylist aunt gave you for Christmas. I would not be surprised at all if you grew up to be a hair designer. Even in the bath last night you were putting “gel” in your brother’s hair and styling it.

You are a beautiful girl; you are my girl. I can’t imagine my life without you. I know there was a time when you weren’t around, but I don’t remember what that was like. I have fun with you every day! I’m not scared of you being a teenager. I know there will be difficult times, but I’m doing my best to lay the foundation for a great relationship between us. I have so many dreams for you, but my biggest dream is that you and I will be best friends when you “grow up” and have kids of your own. I see the mothers and daughters out there that have that, and I want it!

I love you so much, and these words don’t even come close to describing it. But someday you’ll look back on these words and see how much I love you, and how much your dad loves you, and how hard we have worked to provide you the best life we can.

Happy birthday Ky-Bear!
Thank you so much for being my daughter and the light of my life!

Love,
Mommy




8 comments:

Anonymous said...

What a wonderful letter to your daughter!! Print this out and add it to her baby book or a special scrapbook for this year.

She sounds like a wonderful little girl and that's something you should be SO proud of as YOU (well, hubby, too!!) made her that way.

I hope her day is as special as she is and that the two of you remember it for a long, long time!!

Sherry said...

Oh wow, that's an awesome birthday letter to your daughter. Just made me smile and be teary eyed at the same time. You seem to all ready have a close relationship with her and I am sure when she is older and has children of her own, you will still be best of friends. I know my daughter and I are, she is my very best friend!!
Your daughter sounds so sweet, gentle yet determined in a good way. She thirst for knowledge and hey that's a great thing. Mmmm picture her in the future PRESIDENT OF THE USA, yep could happen. She wants all the answers, and will ask if she doesn't understand something. You are very fortunate to have such wonderful caring children, but you know the saying "Children learn what they live" You are living a loving caring life and both your children will follow in your footsteps.

Julie said...

Hope you had a wonderful day together!

Rachel (Crazy-Is) said...

What a beautiful and heartfelt letter! I do hope you print this off and keep it in her baby book! I hope the two of you have a wonderful day together!

I call Alyssa, Alyssa-bear! Funny.

Michele_3 said...

Wow!
That was absolutely beautiful!
Such a wonderful letter to your daughter(make sure she reads that when she gets older..)
Happy, Happy birthday to your baby girl!!! I'm sure your day was special!!

Kelly said...

AWESOME!! So impressive to be able to express yourself in written form! This is something you should print out and put in a scrapbook..and let your daughter read it when she is older! That is so awesome to have a Mommy and daughter day! Some day, when I have kids, I only hope I have such a close relationship with my kids!! Have a fun day today!!

Amy W said...

Happy Birthday to your daughter! I can't wait to hear all the details!

She is definitely precious.

Sherry said...

This #@#@#@ lappie of mine, just won't let me post a comment on your party post, so haha I can beat it, just drop down a day or two, and here I am!!!
Sounds like your weekend was a very special on with your daughter, how neat is that one huh? The mall, the make up, the party, just the precious time together!!!
Love the pictures, she looks so happy with her party, and heck why not huh?
The cake you made is just adorable. I do cake and have THREE coming up, so yeah curious to know what the frosting is you used. I always use the Wilton Buttercream frosting for mine, but open to new ideas.
Glad both children enjoy the quad, but why child wouldn't huh?
Weather looks like it cooperated for you too.
Laughed when I read about waiting for hubby while he went for firewood, see someone always holds up the party, huh? But hey it turned out awesome from the sounds of it, so be proud and hang on to all the new memories you and your daughter made over the week end.