Wednesday, March 28, 2007

Strengths and Weaknesses

What skills do you have and what skills are you lacking? This is a hard subject for me because I always tend to think that I’m lacking way more than I have.

Hubby has always told me that I know how to fight/argue. He tells everyone that I taught him. I take this as a compliment because I get into a lot of arguments (I have a hard time letting something go when someone says something untrue/inappropriate, etc.). He always tells our kids that I’m the greatest listener (which makes me so great at arguing he says). As weird as it is, my family fought all the time, and I think after watching them for years and years, I finally grasped the right and wrong ways to do it. Hubby’s family never fought…everything just got “swept under the carpet.” They are horrible fighters…running away screaming when things don’t go their way. And they’re 29.

I’m a great mother. I know a lot of times I question it, and I always will question and second-guess my day-to-day actions, but I know overall I’m a great mom. We had a speaker at our mom’s group last month that was giving mothering advice, and I sat and listened to it thinking “is this for real? Isn’t this common sense? Doesn’t everybody know this?” But looking around the room and talking to some people afterwards, I quickly learned that what comes natural and easy to me, doesn’t come quite so easy to other people.

I try to be a good wife. I do struggle with this, so I have to say this is a strength and a weakness. There are areas of being a wife that I fail at miserably (at least in my mind, hubby always says I’m great). I know that I’m supportive, and loving, and caring. But remember my first strength up there? Yeah, I like to nit-pick a little too much with hubby sometimes.

I am very impatient. This falls through to my kids a lot and it sucks. I get bored really easily, and because of that I might stop playing with them, or constantly have us on the go so I don’t get bored (I think I have ADHD…seriously!)

I am very insecure. As a whole. I am very secure in some decisions I’ve made, but as a person, I always feel so inferior to others. I think I’m getting better at this…especially when I’m in “mom” mode. Since I think I’m a good mom, I feel secure when I’m out with the kids and around other moms. But take me out of that role and I am scared.to.death.

I have a real hard time multi-tasking outside the home. I think this is a recent problem. We went to dinner with hubby’s family on Saturday and only after 2 other people made comments and half-way through dinner did I remember that his uncle had a heart attack a couple of months ago. I couldn’t believe how rude I was to not have remembered and to have said something. Another thing…my sister’s boyfriend’s (who is also hubby’s friend) grandpa died late last week. And only after talking to my sister on Monday, who told me that my mom sent flowers to the funeral home, did I think “wait a minute…why didn’t I send anything?” I have really had a hard time with this lately and really feel like crap about it. I did just mail a card and a pizza gift-card to my sister’s boyfriend…I hope he isn’t too offended that it’s coming a week late.

So what about you? What are some of your strengths and weaknesses? Come on, let them out…no judgment here, I promise!

7 comments:

Amy W said...

It would be way too long to write my strengths and weaknesses! Some strengths? Great at multitasking and shopping on the internet :). Weakness? Losing my temper, not letting things go, being impatient.

I might steal this idea...

Happy Working Mom said...

Feel free :)

Michele_3 said...

I might be here commenting for awhile if I put all my strengths & weaknesses... LOL!
Here are just a couple-
Strengths-Being a mom,taking care of the family,following thru on projects, SHOE SHOPPING!! LOL!
Weakness- Not taking care of myself-giving myself "ME"time..
Learning to be more social outside of being a mom,Dealing w/ emotions (to stop crying) when my son who has special needs has bad days..

Anonymous said...

You forgot that you are a blogger :)

Just dropped in because my wordpress dashboard shows visits from your site. I wanted to thank you for adding me to the blogroll. I had no idea! Hopefully it doesn't disappoint. I can't even begin to share my strengths and weaknesses. Well, I could, but this little comment box isn't big enough to hold all of the weaknesses.

Thanks again for supporting my crazy site.

Anonymous said...

My husband and I have a very different style when it comes to disagreements - we've been working on it for the entire almost-7 years of our marriage and we're just now getting better with it! I don't have time to think about S & W - but they definitely exist!

Bethany said...

I think I'm going to steal this idea too. Because I could go for pages on weaknesses alone!

Anonymous said...

Bravo to you for openly listing where you're good and where you think you're not so good!! I may "borrow" this idea, too :)