Friday, March 23, 2007

Kids Clothing

OK, I just read someone post something about kids not wearing clothes for that long (and I know it's heard between moms everywhere these days) and it got me thinking about how lucky I am. My daughter, up until about a month ago, was wearing the same pants she wore last year (but then she decided to grow "up" and they're now too short). My son has some sweaters he wears that he wore last year too. And my kids wear their clothes, and I mean WEAR them! They are not looking very sharp when the season (or 2) is over for them. So I have such a hard time when people try to tell me to buy them clothes from a thrift shop or to get them from a friend. Because those clothes are starting out worn, and then once my kids get in them, they don't last very long.

Maybe I do laundry too often? I know my kids aren't that messy (except for my baby, he's still drooling with 4 teeth coming in), but once they wear it once, or heck, if it's not on a hanger, it gets thrown into the washer. I'm very picky about my kids walking around in clean clothes...no food stains on them or anything like that. I have a bunch of their shirts in the laundry room right now that I keep running through the washer with each load trying to get stains out, because I will not let them wear them until they are gone!

I also have fun shopping for new clothes for them...I do it in place of shopping for me. I can't remember the last time I bought myself more than one thing at any given time. But each season I go out and buy the kids their wardrobe for the season coming up (I do it twice per year...once in the spring and once in the fall).

But here's where I save some money...I head to the outlets. Luckily, I have some that are about 1 hour and 20 minutes away. I go to the good stores and get them good clothes that I know will withstand all of their playing, and my washing, and will last me through each child I have. All at outlet prices. I got my daughter beautiful GAP socks to match some of her outfits at 3 pairs for $3 (not just solid color ones...a beautiful print on them). I don't (unless I have a gift card) go buy something for them in a regular GAP store...just the outlet.

Maybe that's another reason I like to buy new clothes...we want 4 kids, and so far (crossing our fingers) we've been able to have them in the same season...so my son wore all of my daughter's neutral stuff (we didn't find out the sex with either one of them) and then we bought him boy clothes after he outgrew those. So hopefully, these clothes that I'm buying will get a second or third use out of them.

Is there anyone out there that thinks like me? Do you like to shop for new clothes for your kids? Do you sacrifice something else so that you can do it?

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

I give up buying new, brand name clothing for myself from the stores. I still buy Gap or Old Navy, Express, Aeropostale and Maurice's for me... I just do it either from an outlet store or I buy them off eBay.

My daughter gets new clothes at the beginning of the seasons and throughout, as well. I buy her clothes from The Children's Place and I even (gasp!!) get them at Target. I also have outlets about 40 minutes from me and I buy the majority of her clothes from the Carter's outlet.

Her clothes are worn once and washed. I do her laundry once per week and have to remember to rotate her clothes in the her dresser so the same things aren't always being worn.

I also buy her clothes off eBay. I buy ones that are new with tags...I can get her outfits for a fraction of what they cost in the store.

I don't buy her Carter's or Gap or The Children's Place because she HAS to have them. I buy them because they're a bit better quality and hold up great with washing and her playing. I am then able to sell them on eBay and get decent money for her stuff.

As always...sorry for the long winded comment :)

Anonymous said...

My daughter is still wearing 2T pants at 4 and a half years old! - so that gives you an idea of how long she's been able to wear her clothes! We get a ton of gorgeous hand-me-downs from a friend at work, so that makes most of Olivia's wardrobe, honestly. Otherwise, I supplement fun things from Target and Old Navy. About once a year I buy an outfit from Gymboree or Children's Place - but I don't need to buy much there as most of the hand-me-downs come from there! I just prefer not spending a ton of money on clothes - not for me either - I dress nice, but I don't have a boatload of clothes. I'd rather buy furniture for the house!

Julie said...

My girls were born in the same season so Emily has been living in hand me downs. I'm too cheap to buy them expensive clothes - unless it's for special occassion. I let the grandparents buy them their nicer clothes - they are more than happy to! : ) I buy pretty much everything at Target for them b/c of cost, ease and they don't know any better yet. We have outlets about 30 min away but I'm not much of a shopper. I figure with Abby, I've only got a couple more years before she starts asking to shop at specific mall stores so Target it is until then! As for me, I buy myself a couple of new things each season but that's about it. I'm with Amy - I'd rather have something for the house than clothes for me.

Anonymous said...

I usually shop at the outlets (about an hour away) when I can get out there. Same reasons, I can get nicer stuff for WAY better prices. Also there is this awesome store down by my mother's house called Gabriel Bros. that you can get outfits for like two bucks. I've also bought stuff off of Ebay. That's where I got most of my maternity clothes too.

I just buy new stuff when he's outgrown the current size. He's growing too fast right now to worry about seasons.

I have the same issue as Kellie, though. I was once a week and I have to remember to rotate the clothes. He ends up in the four "favorite" outfits all the time.

Amy W said...

Ashley outgrows clothes way too fast. She is now in little girls sizes due to her height. Last summer, the clothes I bought her in the beginning of the summer didn't fit her in the end of summer.

But I love shopping for the girls. I live vicariously through their new wardrobes every season! I too hit the outlets, I am hoping to go in April.

Bethany said...

I do without new clothes! This year I get to buy some since last summer I didn't.

E-baby grows so fast that she hasn't destroyed anything yet. She wears an outfit once and it gets washed.