Wednesday, October 07, 2009

Book Review: Adventure Annie Goes To Work



You all know I’m a working mother. And while I think I do a great job of balancing all aspects of my life, there are times when one area overshadows the other (like the fact that I’ve been home with my kids the last two days because our nanny is sick). Unfortunately, sometimes it goes the other way…the not so good way. Sometimes, I have work when I’m “supposed” to be with my family. There are many times that I will have to work on the weekends (October is full of them) and yes, I have brought all of my kids to the office on occasion.


This book, Adventure Annie Goes to Work, by Toni Buzzeo, is about a little girl that has adventures every Saturday with her mom. But one Saturday her mom has to take her into work to look for a missing report. Adventure Annie turns this into another one of her adventures and has a lot of fun at Mommy’s office.


Kylie, who is six, started off reading the book to me. She didn’t have any problems until she got to some of the unusual word choices describing Annie’s actions. They didn’t flow very easily, and to a beginning reader, they were a little difficult. So about 1/3 into the book I took over and finished reading it to her. She loved it, and as soon as we were done, she grabbed it from me so that she could read it to her class (she plays school every night).


I think this book has a fantastic message for children of working moms…you can make an adventure anywhere, and just because mom may have to work, it doesn’t mean that she doesn’t love going on adventures with you too!



3 comments:

Sherry said...

Wow it's great you found that book huh? And what an awesome way to show the kids that mommies and work can "blend" and that it can be an "adventure" You do have a way of showing and teaching your children all the right values in life. Congratulations on the find with that book, for one and for being the great mommy that you are!
Fantasitc !!!

Kim3278 said...

Is this one your "blogger" books?? SO CUTE! I would love to check it out. Wonder if that have that in the library??

I just got my first blogger book. I can't wait to do my review..so I can get another.

Christy said...

I am definitely going to have to check this one out! It can be such a task to balance work and family sometimes, and then even more of one when I have to explain it to Lilly why mommy can't play all the time. I think she will love this one!