Wednesday, June 27, 2007

Looking For a New Sitter

We are in the process of looking for a new sitter. This has to be the hardest, most stressful thing I have done in a long time. Since we moved in December, we have had to drive ½ hour out of the way each morning and each evening to take and pick-up the kids. It’s too hard on us. Also, the sitter has started doing things that we’re not too fond of. First, every time I pick them up I feel like our sitter is absolutely drained. She has nothing but bad things to report to us, at least that’s how I feel.

When our current sitter first called us (she had heard a rumor that we were looking for a sitter because we wanted to take our daughter out of day-care) we were her first “clients.” She had quit her job to stay home with her older kids and wanted to make some extra money on the side. She was wonderful. Her rate was lower than day-care but we ended up paying her more because she was so great. She told us that she just wanted to watch 2 or 3 max in order to keep the ratio low. She got another little newborn 1 year later. 6 months later my son was born. Everything was still great…she loved my daughter and took her everywhere!

About 1 year ago she took in another little girl (so now there are 3 girls that are 4, 3 and 2 and then my son who’s 2). I think it’s just more than she can handle. She seems so tired each day. She also seems to have picked a new favorite, and it’s not my daughter. I don’t think she likes preschoolers…I think she’s a baby person.

We raise our kids a little differently from the way we were raised. I have a policy that I don’t say “because I said so” when my daughter asks me “why?” I always give her reasons for the rules or why I say “no” to things. As adults we would never do something without knowing why, so why do we expect our kids to? Anyway, she told us that our daughter was back-talking the other day so she went in time-out. What??? She’s 4, there’s no “back-talking” yet. Come to find out, the sitter was telling her to do something out of the ordinary (while at the same time frustrated because my son had make a mess with the cupcake she had given him to eat) and my daughter asked her “why?” So the sitter sent her to time-out. Hubby explained to the sitter that she is very smart (duh, the sitter tells us that all the time) and she wants to understand what’s going on…she’s not a puppet. When they got in the car my daughter said that the sitter was yelling at her and it was scaring my son.

So that’s just one example of the daily battles that seem to be going on because she gets so easily frustrated. The latest thing she did that absolutely appalled me was get a new puppy. Now before you go crazy, it’s not the puppy, but how she got the puppy. They have a dog, have had him for a long time. I hate dogs. But I think it’s great the kids are exposed to them so they aren’t scared of them. Their dog is bad in that it always jumps all over us when we take the kids or pick them up (and we’re in our nice work clothes). But I’ve tolerated it, because of course, it was there first. Fast forward to Monday. Hubby drops the kids off and the sitter tells him that they brought in a stray puppy. That’s right. She brought in a dog that she knew nothing about. Had no idea if it would attack the kids, had any diseases, nothing. Hubby and I are furious. She doesn’t think there’s anything wrong with this. She also told my daughter to be careful, because since it’s a puppy, it will bite her because it doesn’t know better. The sitter informed us that if they can’t find the owner, they will be keeping the dog. We told the sitter we would figure out what we wanted to do.

So I have started the sitter search. I don’t want to take the kids to daycare for a number of reasons. The only one I would consider turns out to cost us $2,000 per month. That’s right. I’ll wait for you to regain consciousness. So there will be no daycare at this time.

Unfortunately, there are hardly any sitters in our new city. I have no idea why. And since she’ll be in school in 2008, I have to find somewhere that she will be able to go to the school I want her to when it comes time.

Needless to say I’m very stressed out…why can’t this person live by me??? I would pay her oogles of money to watch my kids.

13 comments:

Amy W said...

I pay $2,000 a month for my kids daycare...seriously. But it's worth every penny. It's what works for us. And yes, we are counting the days until Ashley is no longer in there and it will go down...

Good luck with the sitter search, I can only imagine how hard that is.

Julie said...

$2,000 for two kids seems like a bargain! I wish I only were paying that : ( Next year we'll gt a break though when Abby enters Kindergarten/public school for part of the day though. While $2,000 may seem like a lot, just remember as the kids get older the rate will drop - at least that is how it works around here.

I think it's totally irresponsible for your sitter to take in a stray dog and have it around the kids. If she wants to keep it, maybe she can crate it or keep it away from the kids while they are there?

Anonymous said...

We pay about $900 a month for Jeffrey in daycare. It seems like so much but I LOVE our daycare so it makes it much easier. I am starting to understand though, why it becomes cost effective to stay home with them.

However,I would definitely be looking if I were you. It seems like your sitter is very overwhelmed and not doing what you want her to do. You need to be happy with where your children are going every day. I mean, she often sees them more than you do.
I would suggest putting an ad in the paper that you are looking and see if you get any interest.
Also, don't give up on traditional daycare, you may be able to find one that is in your pricerange. I know around here there is a childcare council that keeps track of the price of all the daycare prices. They can help you find a place.

Rachel (Crazy-Is) said...

$2,000????!?!!!! Holy crap! I'm sorry you are having to do this, I know it's hard finding someone you trust to take care of your kids.

Let us know how it works out and good luck!

Anonymous said...

Apparently, my blog friends are way better off financially than I am :) I was cringing at paying $1000 a month for daycare!!

Sorry you're dealing with this. I know how hard the search for quality care can be and care that meets the requirements (School district, drive time, etc.).

Maybe I can convince Jimmy to move to OH and I'll watch your kids :)

Good luck, girly--wish I could help!!

Michele_3 said...

Wow! 2,000!

I'm sorry your dealing with this, I hope everything works out in your favor!!

:)

Kelly said...

Wow, $2000 a month..seems CRAZY! I'm sorry you have to go through the sitter search..but I think i would too considering the whole dog situation and her yelling and scaring your kids. Thats not right no matter what the situation is!! Good Luck on you quest!

Sherry said...

You are so right to get a new sitter, dang what is wrong with that woman anyway???? GRRRRRRRRRR let me at her, I will tell her for you!!!!
If I was closer I would watch your children and all you others and now way would anyone be paying $2000 per month. This Grandma Sherry would just enjoy the little ones and no way would I mis treat them!!!! But I am not close enough so I can only wish you luck in your sitter search!!!

Radioactive Tori said...

You are so funy linking to me! I was sitting here reading this saying to myself "I would totally watch them, and I bet we would have so much fun" and then I got to that part and had to laugh. I only wish you lived close enough to make it work out! The house across the street from us is for sale....let me know if you would consider that. It would be cool to have a mom friend that is cool like you and I would love to watch your kids!

I feel for you with the "back talk" thing. My son (3 year old) is constantly told by my inlaws that he backtalks. He is curious and intelligent and somehow that seems to come off as back talk. I am sure I encourage it by doing the same as you and explaining everything instead of just saying because I said so. My goal is to raise a person who will have enough knowledge to take care of himself and figure things out, so I feel like making him curious will help him achieve that and turn into a productive member of society someday!

Is your daycare provider licensed? I am, and there are strict rules about dogs. They need to be checked over, and I believe they need to be kept away from the kids until they are a certain age because of the chewing and biting. Kids are the priority, not the puppy! But then again, I am not really a dog person either.

Now my comment is almost as long as your post! Sorry!

Radioactive Tori said...

I swear I know how to spell even though I misspelled tons of things in my previous comment.

Jennifer (Jen on the Edge) said...

Wow, there's so much wrong with this sitter that I don't even know where to start. So I won't, but you do have my support and good wishes as you go through this.

Jill said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Becca said...

Just be thankful you don't live in the New York City area - I pay $1600/month for just one baby in daycare and that was the less expensive alternative - I wanted a nanny, but they go for $2500/month! But, I found a place that I love, which makes it all worth it... your current situation sounds awful, and I would get out as soon as you can. I really feel for you - Good luck!