Tuesday, June 26, 2007

I Thought I Missed It, But I Really Don't

Last night was the party for my son and my nephew (their birthdays are 1 day apart). My sister-in-law that just had the baby was there. Now I’ve been jealous of her position for a little bit now – one newborn little child. Remember how easy that was? The baby slept all the time, only waking up to eat and get a diaper change, and then it was back to bed. Sometimes I REALLY miss those days.

But as I watched her yesterday, I realized that I don’t miss it as much as I thought I did. Having one little baby means that you’re a new mom, and that means you really have no clue about a lot of things. I watched as this new mom opened the clothes that I gave her and looked at the tags where they have the weight ranges and coordinating sizes. Based on these weights she was determining when her daughter could wear the clothes. I remember doing that…and how wrong those tags can be! Now I know that you just try it on the kid (after washing it because of course it’s going to shrink a ton). I also watched as she was getting upset because it had been four hours since the baby had eaten, and she normally only goes three hours. She kept saying “we need to wake her up. She needs to eat.” I learned very quickly not to wake a sleeping baby :)

So as I watched her more and more, I realized that the experience that I have gained over the past four years is priceless. And even though life can be very challenging with two kids, I wouldn’t trade that experience and knowledge for even one day of new-motherhood.

7 comments:

Amy W said...

I think I have blocked those newborns days out of my mind...in some ways it is easier, but as you said, being a new Mom was so HARD...

Rachel (Crazy-Is) said...

It's amazing how much you learn in such a short period of time! It's also amazing how much easier the second one is. You are more laid back, less panicky. I enjoyed Alyssa as an infant more than I was able to with Kaylie because I was more at ease.

Anonymous said...

I'm hoping if I have a second child, that I'm able to not be as much of a moron as I was with Morgan. SO many things I'd do differently with her now that I look back to it.

Being a new Mom is scary and exciting and tiring as all get out. But, certainly worth it :)

Jennifer (Jen on the Edge) said...

For several years, I've been toying with the idea of having a third. Every time we discussed it, we concluded that two is a good number for us. But still a little doubt lingered. After spending a lot of time watching my newborn nephew this spring, I concluded that, yes, I really and truly am done.

Michele_3 said...

So True!
Being a new mom, you learn so many little lessons along the way & when the others kids come along, it is so surprising how laid back you become! now I just worry about teenage years!
Great post!!

Sherry said...

You have grown so much when you can watch others and know the "rights and wrongs" don't you think?
Newborns are awesome, so small cuddly etc,but isn't is fun to watch a new mom with them? Love all your thoughts on it!!

Bethany said...

Yeah, I don't miss those sleepless newborn nights. (Should have thought of that before getting pregnant, huh?)

But I think I will be more relaxed with this one because I actually can put a bottle together now!