Tuesday, June 12, 2007

On Friday after my sister’s graduation we went to a very nice restaurant for lunch on the campus. We all sat down at a table and immediately my parents started seeing people they know and saying “hi” (they are both professors and have been for a long time). A group of people that they knew walked up to our table to say “hello” as well. My parents began the introductions as they went around the table: “This is {my baby sister}, she graduated today with her MBA and MHA. And this is {my middle sister} and she just graduated from medical school, so she is actually Dr. {my middle sister}. And this is our granddaughter, and this is our granddaughter’s mom.”

Ouch.

Part of me feels guilty that what they said hurt me. I should be proud to be my kids’ mom (which, don’t get me wrong, I definitely am). But I’m so much more than that. I graduated with an accounting degree; I’m a CPA; I have a terrific job with a great company.

Part of it, I believe, is that being a mom comes very easily to me. Now of course there are hard times when I want to pull my hair out, and I definitely get angry and scream at my kids from time to time, but for the most part it’s been a fairly easy journey. I was never scared when I was pregnant about what kind of mom I would be, and heck, I was taking care of our neighbor kids like they were my own long before I had my own kids. From the day I brought my kids home from the hospital everything came very naturally to me. But the other stuff (school, job, etc.) those are the things I worked hard for. Those things did not come so easily to me.

I’m sure I’ve got people thinking “what the heck? Why isn’t she proud and happy to have that as her label?” But I’m not just someone’s mom…I’m a wife, a mom, a friend, and an accountant. To just pick the first item as a description of me is to deny who I am in total.

So what about you? What labels have you been given? What labels do you think you deserve? Do you ever get upset when someone gives you a different label?

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'd be a little "ouch" with that, too. Yes, you should be proud to be a Mom, but you are SO MUCH more than that. To graduate with ANY degree--whether it's medical, accounting or hair dressing is something to be proud of.

I've been given the "She's just a Mom" label and while it's nice, it pisses me off. Yes, I'm a Mom. But, like you...I'm much more. I hate labels--we live in a society that labels everything and that causes all of us to view others as 'different'. Someone is a doctor and lives in a fancy development, well then they MUST be better than the SAHM mom who's renting in a big complex while they decide where to buy/build a house and save some money for it.

Um...I clearly have no point. So, I'm going now.

Jennifer (Jen on the Edge) said...

I'd be VERY "ouch" with that. In fact, I've had those "ouch" moments and have generally responded along the lines of, "Hi, actually my name is Jennifer and I came before [name of my daughters] and had an identity and whatnot." It was a bit awkward, but it got the point across to the person who gave the bad introduction in the first place (usually my mother-in-law or my step-mother).

Rachel (Crazy-Is) said...

I think that would have hurt my feelings too. I am proud to be my kids' mom, but that is not all that I am.

Radioactive Tori said...

I would feel the same way, although I am sure it wasn't intended to hurt you.


My mother in law did something similar once and I know she didn't mean anything by it, but it still hurt! These kinds of things I tuck away for future reference when my kids are grown.

Jill said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.