Wednesday, June 20, 2007

A Recipe

I'm really busy at work so I thought I would post the recipe for the dinner I made last night. It was wonderful! The thing that took the longest was cooking and cutting the chicken and then cutting the veggies. If anyone has a suggestion to getting "cooked, cubed chicken" fast, let me know, because a lot of the recipes I like call for that.

Anyway, here you go...it was really good and the kids liked it too!


Chicken Celery Casserole

From Quick Cooking


"When time is short and I have many guests, this is the recipe I reach for," relates Ruth Andrewson from Peck, Idaho. "The comforting dish has a crunchy topping and can be on the table in under an hour."

INGREDIENTS
4 cups cubed cooked chicken
8 celery ribs, thinly sliced
1 cup chopped pecans
1 small onion, diced
2 cups mayonnaise*
1 tablespoon lemon juice
1 teaspoon garlic salt
1 cup crushed potato chips
1 cup crushed french-fried onions
1/2 cup shredded cheddar cheese

SERVINGS 8

PREP 15 min.

COOK 25 min.

TOTAL 40 min.

DIRECTIONS

In a bowl, combine the chicken, celery, pecans and diced onion. Combine the mayonnaise, lemon juice and garlic salt; add to chicken mixture and mix well. Transfer to a greased 13-in. x 9-in. x 2-in. baking dish. Bake, uncovered, at 350° for 20 minutes. Top with potato chips, french-fried onions and cheese. Bake 5-10 minutes longer or until chips are crisp and cheese is melted.

Yield: 8 servings.

Editor's Note: Reduced-fat or fat-free mayonnaise is not recommended for this recipe.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Sounds good--I may have to attempt to make it :)

Jennifer (Jen on the Edge) said...

Any recipe that has potato chips in it has my vote!

Anonymous said...

This sounds delicious! I'm going to have to remember this recipe.

Amy W said...

Since my family is allergic to nuts, I guess I can't make this one....:(.

I tend to cook up chicken once a week to use in recipes multiple times...not really saving time, but it would if it was already done.

Jennifer (Jen on the Edge) said...

Re: quick, cooked chicken...

I buy rotisserie chickens, two or three at a time, usually for about $5 each at Sam's Club. I take them home and completely debone them while they're still warm (easier this way). Then I separate the chicken into freezer bags in two cup measurements and freeze it. When I need chicken for soup or a casserole, it's so easy to pull some chicken out of the freezer, zap it briefly in the microwave, and then add it to the recipe.