Tuesday, November 24, 2009

There Comes a Point When You Will Exhale...

Whitney Houston had a song in the 90’s titled “Exhale.”

Chorus:

Sometimes you’ll laugh
Sometimes you’ll cry
Life never tells us, the when’s or why’s
When you’ve got friends, to wish you well
You’ll find your point when
You will exhale

I remember hearing that song, and wondering if there would ever be a point in my life where I would be able to “exhale.” The song came out when I was a junior in high school. At that time, I had a long-term boyfriend, good grades, did gymnastics, and overall, life was pretty good…but I still didn’t feel like I could “exhale.”

I had forgotten about the song until last night. For some reason it popped into my mind and I started examining my life and wondering if now I could finally “exhale”…I mean I love my life and I’m so happy…but I’m still not sure I can “exhale.”

I feel like at any moment a crises could come up…right now everything seems to be aligned fairly well…we are part of a fantastic church, we have fantastic childcare, John and I have great jobs, we all have great health, etc. But any one of those things could be pulled right out from under us…and I would have to take a big breath and hold it again…until everything was resolved.

But as Christians we shouldn’t live that way. I definitely stress over things way too much…things that are completely out of my control. My stressing about these things does nothing but harm me, so I need to learn to let them go and give them to God. I need to learn to live my life as a constant breathing pattern…with equal inhales AND exhales.

So with that, I’m exhaling right now. I’m letting God take control of my life and I’m just breathing…which is what I was supposed to be doing the whole time. It’s kind of like Lamaze classes for childbirth…you go to class and learn how to breath so that when you’re the in the heat of the pain, it will come naturally to you**. So I’m practicing, so that when the next “crises” comes up, exhaling will be natural for me.


**While I did take childbirth classes, I opted (OK, really I begged) for the epidural. Is there an epidural option for life?

6 comments:

Sherry said...

You are so "insightful" I believe that's the word I want!! :) Exhale girl, I lived way too long like you, afraid to exhale for fear of any pending disaster. I know from experience it can ruin happiness even for a day. We all have our burdens to carry but if we don't exhale, the burden just pile up. Don't know if you remember that email but now I always say "shake it off and step up" and that's my "exhaling".
Today I have to go back for a second mamogram and sonogram due to them wanting to "double check" but instead of inhaling, I am exhaling, stepping up and shaking it off. I can't change anything, so I go and get er done so to speak haha. I am find I know I am I have my faith in GOD and this is just a precuation.
So my wonderful cyber friend, you exhale , enjoy and anything that comes along "step up and shake it off" trust me it so helps!!!
Have a wonderful Thanksgiving,. My daughter and family are arriving early in the am YAHOO, so we all know my computer time is zilch due to me wanting to spend every second w/ them. Hahha my phrase "SMOTHERLY LOVE" tee hee
Thanks for being YOU, you are awesome and always keep me smiling. HAPPY THANKSGIVING!!!

Kim3278 said...

It is so easy to say that on a day to day basis...and I do...every day..say , okay Lord, enough, I have had all I can personally take on and now I have to give it to You." It is an every single day battle. It is just like yesterday, just when I thought the world was caving in around me (AND OVER A STUPID CAR) and then again today (OVER A STUPID BONUS THAT I DIDN'T GET)--I had my moment, and then gave it up. Doesn't it feel good? I try to "exhale" on a very regular basis.

Keep exhaling girl...it only gets easier.

Anonymous said...

Your blog keeps getting better and better! Your older articles are not as good as newer ones you have a lot more creativity and originality now keep it up!

Anonymous said...

quite interesting post. I would love to follow you on twitter.

Anonymous said...

I really like when people are expressing their opinion and thought. So I like the way you are writing

Anonymous said...

Do you have copy writer for so good articles? If so please give me contacts, because this really rocks! :)