Wednesday, June 18, 2008

My Kids Owe My Dad!

Seriously, they owe him big time. My dad watched the kids Monday and Tuesday this week while our nanny was on vacation. Monday went great – no problems there. But yesterday was a completely different story.

My daughter tried to come into our room wide awake at 6:00 AM. Now for our family, that’s unheard of…the kids always sleep in. I grumpily tell her to go back to bed (I only got to sleep for 20 more minutes before I had to be up). I can then hear both the kids in with my dad. See, they like to sleep with Pappaw, and he likes them to sleep in with him too. The problem is that he also likes to sleep with the TV on, and there’s a lot of light in that room, so as soon as the sun comes up it’s pretty bright in there.

I get home from work yesterday and my dad tells me it was the day from hell. Why? Because they actually had gotten him up at 4:10 and he couldn’t get back to sleep (that was my son’s fault…apparently he woke up and wanted hubby and me and then proceeded to wake up my dad and daughter). So then he went down for a nap from 9:30 – 12:30. My daughter decided to take a nap from 1:30 – 3:45. My dad didn’t get a nap.

I told him he should have put my daughter in bed with him while my son was sleeping and had her watch TV while he took a nap, but he said he wasn’t comfortable doing that (being asleep while she was awake).

Of course he still had a fun day…just a really tired, fun day. I felt so bad for him.

He did finally admit to me that he will no longer fight me when I tell the kids they can’t sleep with Pappaw – they have to sleep in their own beds from now on!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Poor Pappaw!!! But, gotta love that he battled through the day all while desperately wishing for some shut eye :)

Christy said...

The sleep you get when there is a little one beside you is never quite the same :) But they are wonderful to cuddle with.

Kelly said...

Ahh poor Pappaw!! At least he still managed to have a fun day! And I bet he slept great last night!