Wednesday, June 14, 2006

Life Without Kids? I Can't Remember!

It’s sad, but I really cannot remember what it’s like not to have kids. We went to visit some friends of ours last night. They are both teachers and this is their first week of their summer vacation and I’m so jealous! I think that would be the best life….being a teacher and being married to a teacher. Anyway, I started to think about what we would do if my husband and I both had 2 months off of work, and every thought and idea revolved around the kids. What in the world would we do if we didn’t have kids?

When we first graduated college we bought the house we are currently living in (actually, we bought it before we graduated….what was that mortgage company thinking!). My job didn’t start until October, and my husband didn’t have a job yet. So we had the whole summer to do whatever we wanted (OK, not WHATEVER…we were so broke! We lived on Ramen noodles!). But I can’t for the life of me remember what I did all day. Now, even when I have a couple of hours without the kids I can’t figure out what to do with myself, let alone if I had weeks and weeks!

I interpret this whole train of thoughts to mean that we love being parents, and we love that our lives are so filled by our kids that we can’t imagine our life without them (or even a couple of days without them!). What’s sad is that I’m sooooo dreading the day that my kids grow up and leave the house….what in the world will my husband and I do then? I guess that's what grandkids are for!

Can any of you remember what life was like before you had kids? Leave a comment and let me know!

No comments: