Monday, April 16, 2007

What A Happy Day!!!

Up until recently I had very strong opinion about religion and children. While I thought that it was super important to have your children in church, I did not believe that little children were able to comprehend everything that they were learning. Hubby told me that he became a Christian at the age of 5, and I thought that was ridiculous. I really didn’t see how a 5 year-old could comprehend the difference between Heaven and hell, and understand what they needed to do in order to get to Heaven. I really thought the only reason that kids did it was because their parents told them to do it.

I continued to think this way until just a couple of weeks ago. Kids in our Sunday School class began asking their parents questions and slowly started understanding what needed to be done in order for them to go to Heaven. I even had one parent tell me that her daughter’s questions started because of what we were teaching her every Sunday…I was kind of shocked actually. Inside I knew that we were laying the ground work (of course along with the right parenting at home too), but to see results actually happen before my eyes…I’ve never had that happen before!

Anyway, I was still skeptical…until this last Saturday. My daughter was sitting and looking at her picture Bible and started asking me all kinds of questions…completely unprompted by me – I was trying to get all of the laundry done! So I climbed up on the bed with her and answered her questions, when all of a sudden she looked at me with tears in her eyes and said “I want to ask Jesus to come into my heart.” I prayed with her and I couldn’t keep the tears from coming…I was going to have my little girl in Heaven with me someday! And I was comfortable that it was the right time…she wanted to do it, she even prayed the prayer by herself with very little coaching from me. It was not something I told her to do and she was just obeying me…she did this…on her own!

I just can’t describe how happy I am!

4 comments:

That Chick Over There said...

My son accepted Jesus at the age of 5. It really was amazing!

Alyssa said...

That's so awesome! Congratulations! I can't wait for the day my daughter asks Jesus into her heart.

Rachel (Crazy-Is) said...

That is awesome! This post made me tear up! That is so great that your daughter wants to do this! I can't wait until my kids do the same!

Bethany said...

Ebaby just turned four. She asked Jesus to live in her heart a few months ago. At first I wasn't sure she really understood. But after talking to her about it some more it's clear she does get it.

She was holding her hand over her heart the other day. I asked her if she was practicing the Pledge of Allegience. She said, "No, I'm holding Jesus' hand."

I love that kid.