Tuesday, April 17, 2007

I Can't Even Imagine.....

My family is kind of attached to Ohio University. My parents went there; my uncle went there; I went there; my sisters went/are going there; my cousins went/are going there; hubby went there; hubby’s parents went there; his cousin is there; my parents teach there now; my kids will hopefully go there. To say that our lives revolve around the university is kind of an understatement.

When I heard about what happened yesterday at Virginia Tech, I immediately thought about how it would be if it was OU instead. It hurt too much to think about. First of all, I can’t even imagine how worried I would be about all of the family members that are there now…I’d be sick until I had talked to each and every one of them. Then the fact that a once peaceful, happy school was ripped apart and no longer considered safe, well…that would be almost unbearable.

For the most part people are attached to their alma maters…they have memories etched in their minds of what it was like and of different experiences they had while there. You hear the name of your school and you immediately claim it, or defend it if it’s being attacked. And for Virginia Tech, all of that was uprooted in just a couple of hours.

I know there are a lot of you out there that went there; have family there; have friends there; have memories there. You are all in my prayers…I pray that none of you experienced any losses.

2 comments:

Amy W said...

You said it perfectly...I am very attached to my alma mater. I just hate that this happened and extremely, very, very sad.

Rachel (Crazy-Is) said...

Yesterday was a horrible day to say the least.