Tuesday, February 19, 2008

Daycare

The kids are in daycare today. For most of you, this sounds like no big deal, but for us, it’s huge. This is the first time that my kids had to get up at 6:15 and get dressed and ready. It's the first time they won't get to eat and drink whenever they want. It's the first time they can't take a nap whenever they are tired. It’s the first time that they are separated. I hate it. I keep telling myself that it’s only temporary…the wonderful nanny will start in a month (although we haven’t gotten all the details worked out yet, so that’s not even definite yet.

They were actually in great moods this morning. I had fun doing my daughter’s hair and putting jewelry on her. We loaded them up and headed out into the blustery cold. When we got there, we took my son to his room, but we could only drop his stuff off because all toddlers meet in the baby room until more kids and teachers get there, and then he’ll go to the big room. He hated this. He had a really rough time and was crying a ton.

I took my daughter to her room, but it was the same thing as my son’s…she had to go to the preschool room until more kids and teachers got there, and then they would move her over to the pre-k room. She did pretty well. She sat down with a little girl that would be in her class and put beads on a string. She gave hubby and I both kisses and had no problem when we left. We checked on my son and he was in the teacher’s lap not crying, so we took that as a good sign.

There are definitely good sides and bad sides to this arrangement, and I just keep reminding myself about the good sides. They will get a lot of opportunities to learn a bunch. They will make some friends. They will have fun.

I’m sure this will get easier…it’s just hard when you’ve been used to doing one thing for 4 years and now you’re doing a different thing…it just takes getting used to it all!

12 comments:

Amy W said...

That's great to look at the positives. And just think, this is a huge prep for your daughter (not that she isn't ready mentally, meaning she can hang with the kindergarteners) into getting into a schedule for school.

Anonymous said...

Remind me to come check out this post when/if I have to put Morgan in daycare.

I like how you focused on the positives :)

Hope their first day is a good one!

ChrisB said...

You are looking at this in a really positive way. It cannot have been easy to leave them, but if your son was getting cuddles it sounds like the staff are doing the right thing helping new children to feel secure as they get settled.

Dani said...

Try and look at the positives and maybe talk to the staff and see if your daughter can come "visit" her brother some time during the day. I know our daycare is very open to allowing siblings to see and interact with one another. Of course, we only have one child right now but there are some really great things about daycare. I hope it runs smoothly for you and that the nanny works out for you!

Julie said...

Just remember, the change is worse for you than them! Us moms always have a harder time! : )

Edie said...

It will get much easier, just give it some time. Especially once they see how much fun they can have there. Chin up! Keep looking at the positives.

Christy said...

It will get better I am sure, for you too ;) I have a hard enough time leaving mine at my mom's house some days though, so I can't imagine how daycare would be for me. I know she would love it!

Rachel (Crazy-Is) said...

I know it's hard. Hugs!

Michele_3 said...

Change is definitely hard- Next August my little man will start KG and my oldest will be starting middle school- I'm sure the anxiety attacks will come this summer! LOL!

Hang in there girl! Your a great mom who worries about her babies as we all do.. It is perfectly normal.
:)

Radioactive Tori said...

Change is so hard for everyone, but I'm sure the kids will get used to it quick and have lots of fun. I'm sure it will be a relief when you can get them back on their own schedule though!

Anonymous said...

You know my feelings on the day care senter. I'm sure that they'll be just fine.

It is a giant pain to get them ready that early though. I know what you mean. We drop the kids off at 6:30 every morning. Anya isn't too bad, but when Ally was little, most of the tmie, I'd let her sleep until we left and then aginna in the car. When we got there 20 minutes later, she was more ready to wake, and I'd just change her diaper and lcothes there before I left. Maybe she wouldn't have been so tired in the mornings if she had ever slept at night!

Kelly said...

The great thing about kids is they are adaptable and very resilient! (I think I spelled that wrong!) It will be hard at first but they will adjust! Just keep focusing on the positives and you will all get through it AOK!!