Tuesday, September 19, 2006

Speaking Terms Again

I forgot to post about how my husband and I reconciled. Unfortunately it was right before I left for Chicago, so I didn't have any time to post about it. A couple nights towards the end of things, he would grab my hand while we were sleeping. This was very strange...when we are fighting, we are fighting...no touching or anything like that. So finally one night he woke up after being asleep for about an hour and put his arm around me and said "don't ever leave me". I was really scared, I couldn't figure out why in the world he would say that. So I asked him why would I leave him? He said for the past couple of nights he kept having the same dream that he could hear me, but he couldn't see me, and that I would all of a sudden start laughing at him. So this opened the door to a huge discussion. It was going great, and then he flew off the handle again. But fortunately I'm stubborn and persistent and I wasn't going to bed until this was resolved. Finally we realized that although we are Christians, we really have not had a Christ-centered marriage. So we vowed to spend more time together doing devotions and reading some awesome marriage books that we have. By the way, even if you're not religious, I strongly recommend reading "Men Are Like Waffles and Women Are Like Spaghetti" by Bill and Pam Farrell...it really makes you understand how men and women are so different, and how easy it is to work together when you understand these differences. Anyway, we haven't had a lot of time to really start this, but have done it a couple of times and it makes such a huge difference! We are so much nicer to each other, and we don't take each other for granted, which used to happen a lot!

So thankfully God worked with us and I think we should have an even stronger marriage as we begin to work together. The thing with us is that we know we're "stuck" with each other forever...no divorce options here, so we had better make it the best thing that it can be! Another important thing that we agree on our priorities...God first, spouse second, kids third. This can be very difficult because it is so easy to put the kids before each other, but we constantly remind each other when it's starting to appear that way and it's corrected. We firmly believe that kids living with parents that are in a happy marriage grow up much healthier than kids that see constant fighting and disrespect in their house. Of course single parents or divorced parents don't fit in there because there shouldn't be fighting or disrespect on a daily basis (unless there is a bitter divorce, and in that case, I believe that the kids should not be exposed to that).

I could get into a lot more, but I think that I will stop now :)

No comments: