Thursday, June 03, 2010

Getting Bigger...

My kids are growing up…

Tonight Kylie has a play date…with a boy!!!! A couple of days ago she was trying to get up the nerve to call him – she was so nervous! She kept calling her best friend for “girl advice” and in the meantime, the boy ended up calling her :) She said that he sounded so nervous – she was cracking me up!

Luckily the boys mom and I had been e-mailing back and forth before the kids actually set something up. She and I decided on today, after school, and Kylie could not be more excited.

I’ve decided to approach this boy thing with a laid-back attitude. I figure if I don’t make a big deal about it and just go with the flow, then maybe I can raise her to have good relationships with boys and feel she can talk to me about anything. When I was growing up, my parents made such a big deal about how “bad” boys were, that I think I had a very messed up view of them and as a result felt very awkward around them.

The other child growing up is Josh. I finally found him some boxers that fit his little tiny waste, and last night they were all washed and ready for him to wear after his shower. He was so excited to put them on and felt like such a big guy now that he was like Daddy. He was such a cutie! But he won’t sleep in just the boxers…the poor guy stuffs them into his tight little PJ pants because he says he’d be too embarrassed if someone (i.e. our nanny in the morning) saw him in just his boxers. We’ll see…maybe he’ll get used to them and change his mind.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Ew. Kids growing up....just EW! I was looking at Morgan today and realized she's no longer a toddler. She's a little girl. MY little girl.

Pass the Kleenex.

Sherry said...

Boxers too dang cute!! And I love that he doesnt' want anyone to see him in them, hey let's hope he stays that way, right?? :)
You are smart to "roll with " the boy thing, very smart. I find being open with your children and at first letting them do it their way, always brings them to discussing things and that's when you help with carefully worded suggestions. So you are on the right path, but hey I never had any doubts, knowing how close you family is!! :)