Friday, October 06, 2006

Little Mermaid Instead of Grey's

Hubby plays basketball on Thursday nights, so when I picked the kids up last night, I knew I was going to surprise them with dinner from McDonald’s. But I also wanted to do something else that was special, so we headed to Wal-Mart. I blame it on the fact that the radio station I listen to at work on my new iPod plays the commercial for the Little Mermaid coming back out about every hour or so, and so it was like I was in a mental trance…“Must get Little Mermaid. Must get Little Mermaid”. OK, maybe not. Maybe it was the look of joy on my daughter’s face when I said we were getting a surprise inside the store, and she asked me “does it have to do with Princesses?” and I said “yes” and she asked “is it the Little Mermaid?”. How smart is my little cutie?

So we got it and dinner and headed home. While they ate dinner I rushed around trying to get laundry done and their suitcases packed because my mom was coming that night to take them to her house (we’re heading down tonight). After dinner it was baths, and then it was play time. I put the movie in and my daughter watched intermittently while playing. She coincidentally got a Little Mermaid purse in her Happy Meal. My son played basketball in the basement (it’s a finished basement) and in the two seconds that I ran upstairs to get something, I turn around and he’s around the 3rd from the top stair. Now he’s the type that you can’t run up to in a panic because he stands straight up and would fall backwards. So I got on my hands and knees and just encouraged him to climb the rest of the way up, which he did without any problem. That boy is going to give me a heart attack!

I put him to bed and finish watching the Little Mermaid with my daughter. When it’s over we start the very consistent bedtime fight. She hates going to bed. There’s no way around it, and no matter what we do, it’s a power struggle. My goal was to get her into bed by 8:45 (as I stated yesterday), but I was loving spending time with her too much to just put her to bed so that I could watch TV (that's what DVR is for!!). So, since I knew she was going to be going with my mom later, I told her that she could lay on the couch, snuggled next to me, and I would put in the free CD of Little Mermaid songs that came with the DVD. So we got ready for bed, and snuggled on the couch with all of the lights off and just listened to the music. It was the most relaxing time that I have had in a long time!

My mom came a little while later and I loaded the kids up in the car and sent them off. I miss them, but I normally wouldn’t have seen them anyway since hubby takes them to the sitter usually. We’ll get home today and pack as fast as we can and get the house ready for a showing tonight and an open house on Sunday (please, please pray, cross fingers, whatever that one of these people buys our house!) and then we’ll take off for another relaxing weekend in the hills.

What are your weekend plans? Anything fun and exciting??

No comments: