Wednesday, December 01, 2010

Thanksgiving 2010...

This Thanksgiving was a wonderful and relaxing time! I decided to take off Wednesday, so I only worked two days last week, which was really nice since I hadn’t had a day off since the beginning of September. I had our nanny come a little later that day, and she got the kids breakfast while I made my shopping list and went grocery shopping. After that, Ryan went over to see my dad and the nanny took Kylie and Joshie to Chuck E. Cheese’s (she had promised them this before I decided to take the day off), while I did laundry and got the groceries organized.

I got a little bit of cooking done and before I knew it John had come home and my sister had arrived from Michigan. We ordered pizza and got to work on making noodles and the crust for the apple pies and getting the sticky buns ready. I actually got to bed at a decent time, which has never happened! I’m usually up pretty late cooking.

Thanksgiving morning I woke up and got ready to watch the parade. I put out a bunch of cut-up fruit as well as cooked the sticky buns. My sister ran in the turkey trot that morning, and as hard as she tried, she couldn’t convince John to join her (it was cold and rainy). After the parade, and after my sister got back, we started right in with all the cooking. We ended up eating dinner around 5:00 and it was fabulous despite some cooking snafus (but Suz and I pinky swore that we would never tell anyone about the burnt noodles and the quadrupled corn soufflĂ© recipe :) ).

After dinner my other sister and brother-in-law came over. We ate dessert and played some games (catch phrase, rummy and BS (or “shenanigans” as we called it for the kids). We all crashed pretty hard that night!

Friday we hung out (there was no way I was going to go shopping after having been on my feet all day the day before), watched football and just played with the kids. We went to a sporting goods store to get Joshie a football that he has been wanting, and John left there making comments about what great deals they had. Apparently he really had no idea how great Black Friday was :)

That night we went over to John’s sister’s house for Thanksgiving on the other side of the family. The kids had a lot of fun playing football and playdough with their cousins.

Saturday was the Ohio State Michigan game, and my sister and I made our annual sweet potato chips. We LOVE these things and look forward to making them anytime we can! After the game I went out with my dad and got my poinsettias and candles and John brought up all the Christmas decorations. We got the tree up that night, but no decorations. The kids were disappointed, but we promised them that Sunday we would get everything done.

Sunday we had a communion service at church and then we came home and finished decorating the house. The kids got to play with the neighbors a lot, and it was just an overall relaxing day. Unfortunately my dad and Suzie had to head home late that afternoon :(

It was such a nice weekend and Monday was a hard adjustment! I had gotten used to going to bed late and sleeping in a little bit. But at least I know that in a few weeks I’ll have a whole week off for Christmas, and then 3 months off after that :)


Ryan playing "ipad" while we decorated for Christmas:




Aunt Suzie and Joshie during the OSU/Michigan game:

1 comment:

Sherry said...

Sounds like your Thanksgiving was perfect and everything so "holidaish" Don't you just love this time of year? Your family is the perfect example of "the reason for the season" love, sharing, celebrating and this year to top it off Josh's Communion. Perfect!!!