Tuesday, November 23, 2010

A Wonderful Zoo Lights Night!

John and I used to be pretty spontaneous about things…even when we had Kylie we would always pick up and do things when we felt like it. Waiting in lines or long drives never phased us. But now with three kids and one on the way, we have lost a lot of that spontaneity. I hate it, but I’m just as much to blame as John…at the end of the day we just want to be home (before Ryan we would be gone almost every night of the week doing something). And the weekends just beg us to stay home and play.

So I was totally caught off guard yesterday when John called me on the way home from work and said “I’m passing by the zoo and the lights look awesome and I think we should go to see the zoo lights tonight.” I had already started dinner (it was about 6:00 at this point), and the thought of walking around all night was horrible, but I was so excited that the “old” John had come out that I started getting the kids ready right away. We didn’t tell the kids where we were going, so they kept trying to guess during the 5 minute car ride down to the zoo. When we pulled in they were super excited!

The weather was GORGEOUS!!! The other times we have gone to see the lights it has been so cold, so the fact that it was 65 degrees outside made the night even more perfect!

We ended up getting a zoo pass because the cost for us to go one night was half the cost of a family pass for the year. So now the kids can go whenever they want next spring and summer, and we’ll get to see the beginning of the lights again next year!

The first place we went was the petting section. Ryan was hesitant at first, but then he had fun petting whatever that animal was :) After that we headed over to the Polar Bears, but those stinking things were nowhere to be found! We stopped along the way and grabbed snacks and then headed to the main section to watch the light show. We ended up leaving around 8:15.

The kids came home and finished up homework and took showers and went right to bed. They were all so good it made the night such a pleasure! Ryan even stayed in his stroller the whole time without whining to get out :) It was such a fabulous night!









1 comment:

Sherry said...

Okay like always your post just made my heart SMILE!!!!
What a neat thing to do and to have your "old John" back I love it. And the pics of the kids w/ that huge bear, awesome, as are all of them.
Have a fantastic Thanksgiving tomorrow, enjoy the day and eat , eat , eat!!!
I know I am extremely thankful that I have gotten to know you through the magic of modern technology. You and your family are fantastic and don't ever forget it. You always put a smile on my face and just make me realize YES there are fantastic people in this world and I am very honored to know you and your family.
HAPPY THANKSGIVING!!!!