Monday, May 24, 2010

This past weekend was so long and so busy and so hectic. But it was also a fun weekend, so I can’t complain!

We started it off by having dinner and some friends’ new house. They bought their house and did a lot of work to it and it looks so beautiful. They have two kids, one of which plays on Joshie’s football team, so the boys were playing football out in the rain while Kylie and their little girl played inside. My parents offered to watch Ryan for us, so we were able to stay until 11:00 and we had such a great time!

Saturday morning John and Josh had t-ball practice, and I took Kylie to gymnastics, and then Ryan and I headed to our usual Saturday morning places (Yutzy’s and Dings and Dents). I really cherish the time that I get to spend with Ryan alone. He is at my favorite age and I love talking to him. The whole time we were in the car he was saying “big trucks, see, mo,” which meant he wanted to see more big trucks. He’s fascinated with big semi-trucks right now, and he gets so excited when he sees one…he says, in a squeaky high-pitched voice, “mommy, big truck.” He was such a good boy the whole time were shopping – I had so much fun!

After we ran our errands, we went to the gym to watch Kylie. The minute we got in there Ryan was yelling “Kylie, Sissy” and pointing. She has so much fun at gymnastics, and I love seeing her face out there when she’s practicing!

After that we went home and had lunch. John worked on a computer problem for his dad while Kylie and I went up and cleaned out her room. I sorted through all of her clothes, and then we pulled all the toys and furniture out. Then I taped her room so we would be ready to paint. Then we all headed to Home Depot to look at blinds for her room (because she had custom princess blinds up there that now needed to come down). My parents again were such a huge help and kept Ryan, so the four of us could get what we needed and get home! We ended up getting blinds for a couple different rooms and headed out to the pain store. We were going to get pain at Sherwin-Williams because 1.) I had a 20% off coupon, 2.) I had another coupon that I could use, and 3.) we were going to keep the pink that was already in her room, and it was from there and needed matched. We pull up to Sherwin-Williams at 5:10 and they closed at 5:00. It was the worst luck ever and Kylie was so disappointed because we promised her room would be done that day.

We decided to head home and cook some burgers and relax for the rest of the evening. The kids played outside, John mowed, and I played with Ryan. It was a good ending to a very busy day. If only we knew it would pale in comparison to Sunday…

Sunday morning we got up and went to church. I helped John get all the kids set up and then Kylie and I actually met my parents at the nursery to pick out my plants. One of my other goals for the weekend was to get my garden in, so I got all of the plants and my parents took them home for me while Kylie and I went back to church to help clean up. Have I said how much I appreciated my parents this weekend???

After church we headed to grab some lunch, and my parents met us there. We took our food to the high school where Joshie’s championship game was going to be played and we ate it in the parking lot with our friends from Friday night. We were tailgating before the flag football game :) Afterwards we headed into the stadium and got set for a hot game. The sun was out and the temperature was in the 80’s…a huge change from what we’ve been in (60’s, maybe 70’s if we’re lucky).

The boys had fun playing, and we were cheering super loud! Both teams were undefeated, so it was a really good game. In the end, our Titans lost, but they tried and for the most part looked like they had a lot of fun! Ryan was not making it very well and cried the last ½ of the game. Again, my parents to the rescue…my mom walked around with him in the shade so that I could watch the end of Joshie’s game.

After the game, as we drove home, we devised our plan for the rest of the day. Ryan fell asleep with the phone that he was playing with still up to his ear, and even though Joshie tried hard, he fell asleep too. Once we were at home, we put the boys down for a nap, and I went out to put my garden in. My parents weren’t back yet, so we couldn’t go and get the paint since the boys were sleeping. I got my whole garden in pretty quickly (thanks to my dad who had prepared my dirt in the preceding weeks), and once my parents were home John and I headed out.

We decided that God did not want us buying pain at Sherwin-Williams. We pulled in at 4:25 and they had closed at 4:00. I have never heard of a store closing at 4:00…it’s such an odd time. So we took it as a sign and headed over to Home Depot and got her paint.

Once we got home we quickly at some Skyline hot dogs and then headed up to put the first coat of paint on. My parents watched Ryan outside while my dad finished his garden project, and Kylie and Josh came up to help us. They helped with two of the walls, but then finally, John and I had to kick them out because there were just too many painters in there! I got them into the shower (Josh was full of paint!) and then they played a little bit downstairs while John and I painted. By this time my dad had left to go back home and my mom offered to take Ryan over to her house with her. When I sent Kylie over to get her backpack from my parents’ house, Kylie said that Ryan was on the trampoline, so I don’t think my mom ever made it inside :)

I got the kids into bed, and John and I continued. My mom brought Ryan in because he was hungry and needed a snack. I got him eating and my mom informed me she had watered my garden (the only thing I had left to do from planting) and cleaned up all of my gardening stuff and closed up our garages. I really don’t know what we would have done if we didn’t have her help! She ended up giving Ryan a bath and cleaning up after our dinner too. Seriously, such a help to us!

John and I finally finished up painting around 10:30. The only thing we have left to do are the edges where we have to tape the newly painted wall (because we have two pink walls and two brown walls), so we’ll wait to do that next week when we know the paint is good and dry. We will try to put her room back together tonight and hopefully get her blinds up. We were so beat by the end of the day!

So as you can see, it was a jam-packed weekend, but we got a lot accomplished which felt really good. I’ll hopefully have pictures of the finished room soon. And the only thing that was getting us through all the work was knowing that I’m going on Kylie’s field trip to the zoon on Wednesday, and then John and I head to Charlotte on Thursday, so only two days of work this week!


The kid on the left is only 8 months older than Josh! Poor Joshie looks so little!

Joshie and his friend Taylor. This girl was the best player on the team by far! You could always count on Taylor to pull the flag or score when she had the ball. She was always chasing Joshie and he loved it :)


This is Joshie upset because they were no longer undefeated:

Coach dad and Joshie before the game:

2 comments:

Sherry said...

OMG woman, do you think you could have squeezed anything else in ??? wow you are a worker that's for sure, do you ever get any down time at all?
All the pics are great, Ryan w/ his phone ahaha ( boring conversation huh) and Kylie and Josh w/ the paint rollers I love.
Your parents are awesome to say the least, it's so neat you family. I love it.

Anonymous said...

Really? That's ALL you managed to accomplish over the weekend? ;)

I love weekends that are jammed with things to do. This coming weekend is like that for us and I'm looking forward to it (not so much to the backache I'll have from dragging around 8 months of pregnant belly).

I still, after two+ years, can't get over how freakin' young you and John look! Insanity!

:)