Wednesday, July 05, 2006

A Very Eventful Weekend!

This weekend has been so long and so eventful that it is going to take me forever to write about it! I will definitely have to do it in groups at a time!

Friday night was my son’s first birthday party. It was so much fun! It’s the first time that I’ve done a birthday party on a Friday night, and it really worked out well. We had dinner ready when the people got there at 7:00, and then we helped him open his presents (he really wasn’t too interested in that!). Then we had the cake and he got it all over himself! He was so cute! Our one neighbor has this tradition of telling my children to “rub that bald head” when their hands are full of cake. It started with my daughter, who was bald, and now we tell it to my son who isn’t bald at all, but it’s still cute! Anyway, he was so full of cake! So we took him up and gave him a bath and the rest of us just hung out. It was very relaxing.

Then on Saturday my daughter and I went to the pool for a couple of hours. We had so much fun just the two of us…I think she really misses one-on-one time with me, so the few times I can give it to her are really precious. Then we went to my nephew’s birthday party. It was at a park and it was so hot out on Saturday! We left early because the kids didn’t have good naps and it was just too hot. When we got home, we tried to put our son down for a nap and then I laid my daughter on the couch with a movie, and my husband went over to our neighbor’s to help them move. My son was not going to sleep, so I brought him back downstairs and put him in the booster seat and gave him a snack. All of a sudden my daughter said that her belly hurt. I asked her if she was hungry or had to go potty, and she said “no”. So I told her to lie on the couch. All of a sudden she started screaming that her belly hurt, and she couldn’t find a position that didn’t hurt; she was jumping up and down and screaming her head off. I had never heard her scream that loud before. I ran to our neighbors and got my husband. I called my sister who is in her 4th year of medical school and she said to take her to the hospital. I started to get my son out of his seat, and my husband by that time had seen how bad our daughter was and told me to take our son to our other neighbors and see if they could watch him. Our neighbor had been the office manager in a pediatrician’s office, so she had seen a lot of sick kids come in and out. She looked at our daughter and said that we should call an ambulance. So the ambulance came and by this time she had calmed down a little, but she was still squeezing my husband really tightly, and was very fidgety. In the ambulance ride over she actually fell asleep, but when we got to the hospital she started crying and screaming again. The doctor’s came in and reviewed her, and they all asked the same questions over and over again and finally ordered some tests and x-rays. A couple of hours later when we were going in for the x-rays, all of a sudden she started acting fine. She was laughing and making jokes just like her normal self. When the doctor came back in she said she was looking at a different child. All of the tests and x-rays came back perfect and normal, so we never did find out what was wrong with her, but thank goodness she was OK. Our wonderful neighbors came and picked us up and took us home (where I found that she had done my dishes!). We went to bed around 11:30, which wasn’t bad, but we were all definitely very exhausted!

On Sunday we taught Sunday school, and then hurried to the grocery store to pick up some last minute items. We had some friends coming over and our neighborhood was having a bike parade and a fire truck and clowns that day. We had so much fun! It was so hot, but the kids seemed to enjoy the fire truck and the clowns and the face painting. Our friends that came over are so much like us, so we get along really well. They got to the house around 2:30 and the next thing I knew I was looking at the clock and it was 8:30! It’s so nice to have people that you can hang out with and the time just flies by! They have 2 girls that are 2 and 4, so my daughter has a great time playing with them, and then they have a little boy that is 5 months, so in about 6 months he and my son will have fun playing together!

Monday and Tuesday were so yucky out that we didn’t do much. Monday I went shopping with my daughter and my sister, and then that evening we had a neighborhood cook-out. We were out for a long time and ended up watching the city’s fireworks on TV outside with everyone. Then yesterday we were very lazy for most of the day, and when the weather cleared up we took some of our stuff over to storage and cleaned out the garage a little bit. Watching our neighbors move wore us out! But it also showed us how important it is to plan ahead for moving…so we’re trying to do a little bit each week. Now if our house would sell! Please pray for our house to sell…that would be the last stress off my back for sure!

We had a wonderful weekend and couple of days off. We had so much fun with the kids…I can’t wait for our vacation in August when we get another week off with them!


Amy W said...

Happy Belated Birthday to your son!! Wow, that was some scare about your daughter. And good luck selling your house. We moved to NC in May, but our house in Virginia is still for sell. Good idea with doing a little each week. It is so hard to pack with little kids!

Happy Working Mom said...

Holy cow, that has to be horrible....having your other house for sale still! I hope it sells soon!

And you're right about moving with little kids...I'm really dreading this. But thankfully we have family nearby that can help out!