Sunday, November 09, 2008

Great Kids!

I want to take the time to brag about my kids. I know I say that I have the best kids a lot on here, and it was proven to me again twice within the last week.

Last Monday we had our big filing at work. I had to go into the office because I have to sit with our admin and go over the document. I got up early that day and got the kids up and dressed. We packed toys and snacks and headed out. I got to the office around 9:00 AM and planned to be out of there before lunch.

The kids took up two cubicles by our admin’s desk, which also happened to be two doors down from my boss. Luckily she has four kids and didn’t mind the kids being there at all. So between working on my filing I did potty breaks, changed diapers, got new toys out, started movies and got snacks. While at times I was annoyed with all of the requests, the kids were absolutely wonderful. People kept coming over and telling me that they didn’t even know we were still there because of how quiet they were. My boss kept coming out and telling me and them how good they were. Ryan really was the worst at needing to eat and changing a ton of diapers!

Unfortunately, lunch time came and went with no signs of being done. The kids were still doing great, especially since I didn’t have any lunch for them. Luckily I had packed some granola bars, cereal bars, and most importantly, Halloween candy! Our admin kept laughing at my as I kept allowing them to have some candy because it kept them happy and occupied!

Finally, around 5:00 we left my office. I promised the kids McDonald’s because of how good they were, so we picked up John and headed there for dinner. I really just couldn’t get over how good they were and I still brag about it to anyone that asks me how work was :)

The second instance of how good my kids was just a few days after that. I always go to the outlets to get my kids’ clothes. I save a ton of money and get it all done in one day. With work, I hadn’t been able to think about doing it until after I filed. Luckily for me, the week I filed was gorgeous and the weather was in the 70’s (the outlets are outside). Unfortunately for me my mom and Kylie are on different schedules. My mom teaches the days that Kylie is not in school. And I was determined to go during the week because I had heard from a few people that this particular set of outlets changes their prices on the weekends (not as good deals). So I had to brave the outlets with three kids by myself!

We loaded up and headed out around 9:15 AM. The outlets are about an hour away, so we got there shortly after they opened. It was nice being there that early because I got the first store all to myself! The kids could run around and they weren’t bothering anyone. They did so well with their toys and snacks!

I made sure to give them some time to run around outside in the grass between stores, and we ate lunch around 2:00. We hit more stores, getting great deal after great deal. Again, the kids listened, and helped – Kylie opened every door for me since I was pushing the huge double-stroller. They were absolutely fantastic! We ended up leaving at closing time (9:00 PM) and Kylie even stayed awake the whole way home.

I know there are lots of parents out there that could never do what I did with their kids. I’m very, very thankful to have such great kids!

7 comments:

Radioactive Tori said...

Your kids are awesome. My kids are awesome too. I think it has a lot to do with us though. Calm kids who can deal with a lot come from calm parents who teach them to be that way don't you think? At least I hope I can take credit for the amazing people my kids are!

Anonymous said...

How awesome. Take a minute and pat yourself on the back for being a great parent!

Amy W said...

Holy crap, I can't believe you were at the outlets that long!!

Sherry said...

I am not at all surprised that your children are so well behaved. You have raised them right, they feel safe, comfy and loved. That my dear is the key element and it shows in the kids.

Anonymous said...

The kids are awesome because they have awesome parents :) I wouldn't even have lasted at the outlets that long ;)

Kelly said...

GREAT JOB!! Your kids represent you and your husband and how you've raised them!! Thats awesome! Congratulations on raising such wonderful children!! I do have to also add...you are one brave momma to take 3 kids to the outlets!!

Jen said...

Wow - that is impressive! I've never tried taking mine to work, but I often have to work from home on days when they are sick...or days when I should be on vacation but get sucked into conference calls and such. I am always very relieved that they seem to understand the concept that I need to work...and then I try to make sure we do something extra fun when I'm done.