Tuesday, May 29, 2007

Race Weekend Recap

What a fabulous weekend I had! Here’s the story:


So like I said before, we leave for Charlotte and get in around 1:00 in the morning. We get up, have an awesome breakfast (made to order omelets, pancakes, eggs, you name it they had it!) and then headed out to the patio to enjoy the sun. I wrote out some of my daughter’s thank-you’s and hubby did some work. Then we headed to the gigantic mall and shopped for a while. I’m in the process of trying to decide whether or not I need a new cell phone. I told hubby that the only reason I would want a new one is to get a better camera on it. So then hubby suggested that we go and look at little digital cameras that I could keep in my purse (this is the one we have now, and while it’s the best camera in the entire world, I obviously can’t carry that around with me at all times). So after a couple of hours shopping (which was really nice with no kids!) we purchased a little camera that takes REALLY good pictures!

Then we head over to a cute little Mexican place for dinner and eat great food and drink margaritas. Then we headed back to the hotel for free drinks and to listen to a really horrible band play.



We heard that this cute little thing had finally decided to arrive at 5:23 after 20 hours of labor and 4 hours of pushing.







After that, we went up to our room, watched TV, and ordered room service for dessert.

It was the best day we have had in a long time! Oh, and the whole way down we did not have the radio on at all. We actually talked for 6 hours straight! It’s amazing how many things get lost when you’re constantly running around after kiddos :)

Saturday everyone else had arrived (hubby’s dad came in around 3:00 in the morning). I laid out in the morning and then my sister and I went shopping. Then hubby and his dad and I went to this really great steakhouse for dinner.

Sunday – RACE DAY!!! Our hotel was only ½ mile from the track, so we walked up and looked at the trailers and bought all of our gifts for my parents and the kids, and then headed back and I took a 2 ½ hour nap! Around 4:00 we walked back up to the track and got ready for the race. Unfortunately, the race was very disappointing, none of the guys that had led the race actually won (they all had to pit and get fuel, thereby letting Casey Mears win – Casey who?) So my boy Jimmie Johnson didn’t win :( It was nice this year because I actually don’t have one person that I root for anymore. I used to LOVE Kurt Busch (please stop throwing things at me) because I thought he was supposed to be my husband (I was born in Las Vegas, which is where he is from and we are the same age). And then I liked Michael Waltrip, not because of his ability to drive (obviously) but because he was such a funny guy and really into his family. I do really like Jimmy, but I’m not a die-hard fan. So this year I just had people I disliked very much, and then just cheered on the rest :) It was actually very nice!

For those of you not into races, I have to just stress how much fun it really was! Once you get past the drunk, obnoxious rednecks, you are surrounded with really nice people! And the race is so different live! I really never watch them on TV anymore, but at the track it’s completely different.

Here are some pictures…I hope everyone else had a great Memorial Day weekend!


Hubby and I at the race!



Hubby and I in the hotel


Different views from our seats:








8 comments:

Unknown said...

4 hours of pushing...dear GOD!! Cut me open any day :)

I have a fantastic camera, but it's too big to bring everywhere. I also have a super small, takes really great shots that goes everywhere with me :)

Races are fun...we use to have a blast at all the ones we went each year. Some people are obnoxious, but most are really great.

How old is your husband? 14?? :) He looks SO young!! Glad you guys had a great time...sounds like it was what you needed!!

Rachel (Crazy-Is) said...

I've been to the truck race here and will probably go to the Busch series race here in October, but I've never been to a Cup race! I am glad you guys had a great time! I would have been even more jealous if Jimmie Johnson had won and you were there to see it!

Michele_3 said...

Welcome Back!
Looks like you had a blast! Is it really,really loud there?? I think that would be the only thing I would hate after awhile..
great pixs of you & your husband!
:)

Jennifer (Jen on the Edge) said...

Welcome back. I'm glad y'all were able to get some time away from everything!

Julie said...

Looks like you had a fun time! Ok, spill the beans, what kind of camera did you get? I'm in the market for a new one.

Sherry said...

sounds like you had a fantastic week end, a well needed and deserved one too!!!
I have never really been a race car fan, but shopping, yeah I am all over that one!!! It would be fun though, in person, all the vroom's, etc, just the enviroment alone would keep you up.
Love love all the pics

Sherry said...

sounds like you had a fantastic week end, a well needed and deserved one too!!!
I have never really been a race car fan, but shopping, yeah I am all over that one!!! It would be fun though, in person, all the vroom's, etc, just the enviroment alone would keep you up.
Love love all the pics

Kelly said...

WOW...looks like so much fun!! I'm so glad you guys had a good time! So funny As I'm typing this I looked over and was reading Kellie's comment..I was also going to comment on how young your husband looks..but also how young you look as well!! You both seriously look like maybe early 20's!!